cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

litebkt

I'm new........ and in need of serious help.

I'm one week free of those (expletive) cigarettes.  But I can't stand it.  I feel like my life sucks and it is over. I can' t believe that those expensive, unhealthy, filthy, unsociable, smokes have controlled my life for so long.

I'm in my mid 50's and have smoked for the most part of 20 years.  I want to get rid of this ball and chain but I can't see myself going through this horrible helpless feeling for the rest of my life.

I suppose that each day I'm smoke free will be a major accomplishment.  I've already taken the money that I would have spent for smokes and put it in to a savings account.  I'll save it until I can purchase something special for myself.  I hope that will be an additional motivator for me.

I hope that this forum will provide some additional help.

Michelle

0 Kudos
4 Replies
leslie32

You've quit for a week!??!!! That is great! This is day one for me.  I read an article that says you will actually grieve for the loss of cigarettes.  I feel like a part of my life is over.  But I am so desperate to quit and hopefully change my life for the better.  I can't stand spending the money on those things and giving money to the lying, greedy cigarette factory owners.

0 Kudos
rob55

I think that it is great you have one week!  Keep it up and don't pick up.

Rob

0 Kudos
michelle-f

Good for you.  Try going to quitsmokingonline.com That helped me alot.  Keep up the good fight.

I've relatively new myself.  I will be smoke free for one month on Thursday for me.

0 Kudos
pianogal

Hi Michelle- I'm glad you're here. I'm on Day 8. This site has kept me strong! Have you gone to the blogs? That's where most of the members share their ideas. It's a good place to vent, get advice and ask questions. Also, if you search "hwc" (one of the members here), he has a lot of good resources on his page. I've changed my mindset on this quit. I am so thankful for how I feel physically and mentally that I know I'm going to keep going. Reading about others' experiences- you'll get to know everyone is really eye-opening and encouraging as you embark on this journey.

You can do this! Believe me- if I can do it, anyone can!

0 Kudos