cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

brian27

My First Day!!!

Well, here it is day one. I'm a little excited and a little nervous, but so far so good. Any advice from those of you that have been here before?
0 Kudos
5 Replies
polly2

Hey Brian! Welcome to you and congratulations on becoming an EX! It helps if you drink lots of juice during the first three days. Our bodies lose blood sugar, which makes us feel worse. Drinking the juice will help to restore it. Also, cinnamon sticks are awesome to suck on and inhale. When you inhale them, they put a nice little blast of cinnamon that feels good at the back of your throat!

This is very much a mental addiction. Your mind will keep telling you that you want a cigarette. It's important to fight that thought off with positive statements, such as:

Smoking is not an option.
Cravings won't kill me, but smoking will.
I am a happy, healthy, confident non-smoker.
There is no such thing as one cigarette for me.
NO = Not One
NOPE=Not One Puff Ever
NTAP = Never Take Another Puff

The more you use these little catch all phrases, the easier it will be for you. Also, read as much as you can here and also at whyquit.com. The more you read about the hows and whys, the easier it will be for you! It pays to keep yourself busy, so that your mind is occupied. Also, respond to posts here, put up posts, help others and you will begin to make lots of friends, who will boost you up when you need it!! Each craving is a good thing! It means that your body is releasing poisonous toxins that smoking built up in your body. If cravings are getting to you, try putting a rubber band around your wrist. Give it a good snap when you start a craving. You'll see that the rubber band hurts more than the craving does!

Feel free to leave me a post if I can be of anymore help to you!! I'm wishing you a lifetime full of success!! You CAN do this!!
0 Kudos
polly2

Hey Brian! Welcome to you and congratulations on becoming an EX! It helps if you drink lots of juice during the first three days. Our bodies lose blood sugar, which makes us feel worse. Drinking the juice will help to restore it. Also, cinnamon sticks are awesome to suck on and inhale. When you inhale them, they put a nice little blast of cinnamon that feels good at the back of your throat!

This is very much a mental addiction. Your mind will keep telling you that you want a cigarette. It's important to fight that thought off with positive statements, such as:

Smoking is not an option.
Cravings won't kill me, but smoking will.
I am a happy, healthy, confident non-smoker.
There is no such thing as one cigarette for me.
NO = Not One
NOPE=Not One Puff Ever
NTAP = Never Take Another Puff

The more you use these little catch all phrases, the easier it will be for you. Also, read as much as you can here and also at whyquit.com. The more you read about the hows and whys, the easier it will be for you! It pays to keep yourself busy, so that your mind is occupied. Also, respond to posts here, put up posts, help others and you will begin to make lots of friends, who will boost you up when you need it!! Each craving is a good thing! It means that your body is releasing poisonous toxins that smoking built up in your body. If cravings are getting to you, try putting a rubber band around your wrist. Give it a good snap when you start a craving. You'll see that the rubber band hurts more than the craving does!

Feel free to leave me a post if I can be of anymore help to you!! I'm wishing you a lifetime full of success!! You CAN do this!!
0 Kudos
camille

Brian,
Congratulations!!!! I am so excited for you! The first few days are gonna be tough, but you can do it!! Iquit smoking 6
weeks ago 2morrow and I feel great! It is so worth it. Get as much support as you can, and tell everyone what you're trying to do. You will be suprised how many people will be encouraging. I hope things go well for you! Camille
0 Kudos
miguel

HEY BRIAN, CONGRATS ON DAY ONE,THAT IS ACTUALLY THE BIGS STEP, KEEP GOING DONT STOP,STAY STRONG!!!!!!!!!! Photobucket
0 Kudos
Abby3

Hi Brian
Congratulations on your decision to quit! My advice to you is to check in on the discussions here often. They have served me great support (even if vicariously) and there are just a ton of stories and information to keep what I'll call your nic-brain distracted. (Can't recall the term right now, but others on this site commonly call it a demon/monster or something like that- it's a better word than nic-brain (:)), but I made something up as I can't remember it at the moment.)
Also wanted to pass along a book reference that I've been treating like a bible. It's called 'The Easy Way to Stop Smoking' by Allen Carr. It is a positive approach to quitting and debunks all of those things your addicted brain (nicbrain, nicdemon, whatever suits you!) has been telling you all these years.
For example, smoking doesn't relieve stress! Withdrawal starts as soon as you put your cigarette out. It's so slight that most smokers don't even realize it. And when you get to smoke again, it relieves the withdrawal, hence making you feel better and more relaxed. When you really grasp this, it's crazy - or at least it was for me. I never thought of smoking as causing the symptoms I was trying to relieve. It makes it easier somehow to not smoke as you realize you will just be starting the cycle over again. If you just hold out until the nicotine has washed out of your system, then all you have to deal with is your brain. Which I shouldn't trivialize as our brains are the hardest part of the quit! Anyways, the book addresses tons of other things and makes you rethink those thoughts that have become so common in your nic-brain. 🙂
Don't mean to babble so I'll shore it up. Stick with it - it's important - you will feel better physically and just plain better about yourself for doing this!
Best,
a
0 Kudos