cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

erin20

Am I ready???

Hi my name is Erin and I've been a smoker for 6 years now. I want to quit, but I' m so scared! Cigarettes are my security blanket. I know what I need to do, not only for myself and my health, but for my family's health. If anyone has any encouaging words for me, I'd greatly appreciate it!
0 Kudos
2 Replies
sherri10

Hi Erin,
Welcome to the site. I smoked off and on (mostly on) for the last 22 years of my life. Started at 15. For a very long time I knew I should quit but didn't want to. Up until a few years ago, I kept thinking I would be fine as long as I didn't smoke too long, like there is an amount of smoking that isn't harmful! For a long time after that, I wished that I even wanted to quit, but I didn't. None of the deathly statistics scared me much either. I really think the thing that has helped me this time is praying to God! I prayed for a long time to just want to quit. I finally quit 20 days ago. I'm sure I don't have to tell you that this is an incidious addiction. Statisticallly, the odds of me staying quit aren't good, most people relapse. That tells me one thing, I can never assume that this addiction won't jump up and bite me in the ass again later on!

The thing that is different for me this time is that I have a support group. This place has really helped me a lot. I've gotten to be friends with some of the people around here and I have a good time here. That sure beats the hell out of doing this thing alone!

And I've seen so much stuff around here, I know a lot more about what the nico does to me. That helps stay quit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JVxfHSNEHM

Watch this. It has had a profound affect on me! In 16 days I would have smoked over 1,000 cigs. This video is for 400. It's very humbling.

Good Luck!
0 Kudos
jr_2

I am scared too.. i have been a closet smoker for 3 years and, for me, the most encouraging words i have heard so far happen to be "you are not alone". So i pass them on to you. I am scared, you are not alone. WE ARE READY TO DO THIS! I'm rooting for you..Keep in touch.
0 Kudos