cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

recently quit

Cbefree
7 11 231

well I'm a couple hours into my 7th day, it feels good to just say that.

It doesn't mean: I'm out of the woods, that the last 6 days haven't felt like an eternity, that the symptoms of depression aren't there, my breathing is miraculously not labored with exertion, 1st & foremost the suffering from withdrawal is gone.

It does mean: I'm still on the path; 6 days or 14 days or whatever it takes will pass & feel like a moment in hindsight; with the depression lifting a bit my mind is less contracted, and new possibilities/tools/talk are starting to take shape; my breathing is better/deeper & I'm not coughing as much with a deep breaths; the suffering is mind made and I've watched the stories, I've watched the creature say just 1 drag, I've seen the power of addiction.

The Mayo website with all of you to share and a couple of other significant life changes have made this quit different. I've always known, but never had the time, that writing is a powerful tool for me. I want to remember how difficult it's been, I want to feel the triumphs of a moment because as we all know these will fade and we will forget. I NEVER WANT TO GO THROUGH THIS AGAIN

Humble greetings & good wishes to you all

11 Comments
About the Author
Recently retired at 69 which means I've smoked for over 50 years! Serial quitter like many of you, this time it's different. I've never had an opportunity to stay this present in a quit. In reading old posts of mine, I welcomed feeling everything & do I ever! All feelings are heightened good/bad/indifferent. I've lived in the Sierra foothills since 2003, very happy to be retiring here and be addiction-free.