cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

Anonymous
Not applicable

COPD

It is better but the tests don't show that it's better . It shows it's progressing slowly .

The fact is that there is no cure , that I have moderate copd with overlapping asthma . It is important to stay quit . It's important to not take a puff . It's important for someone with COPD OR NOT not take a chance , not to think you could be the exception that because your lungs are clear your good .

It's important not to take risks .

I knew for a fact I had COPD yet chose not to hear the diagnosis nor share it and smoked anyway . Denial bought me more time to smoke . That was not a smart move l,

Facing the truth is hard but it's the first step to health . That is the better choice . 

Dont ignore the warning signs . 

I can't tell you how much changing just two things in my life made such a difference in how I feel . Quitting smoking and walking has changed how I can breathe . Every crave was worth getting past and through . Craves are curable  , COPD not . 

Take back your power . Choose not to smoke today . Walk out those craves and breathe ! 

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
16 Replies
indingrl

Thank you Maki for sharing and I am so honored to know YOU - gentle hug and I will keep walking with YOU sweet friend

In HIS love - I love YOU Maki

RoseH

I too have COPD and I am so very happy that I quit on August 12, 2018.  It took a while but my breathing has greatly improved when I am walking.  I was gasping for breathe in the beginning, but abstinence is a great healer!  I use two inhalers every day and I do have a rescue inhaler, which I have not had to use in quite a while...  I might be on oxygen now if I had not quit!  I remember that every day.  That was my “bottom”.  The thought of having to wear oxygen 24/7 was a nightmare for me.  I feel totally complete now without a cigarette!  I am having my morning coffee right now, and I do N O T miss a cigarette!  Thanks to all the support I receive here and when I was a member of Quitnet, which closed online...  Have a great smoke free Friday, Everyone!  And let’s all keep our beautiful and precious quits!  Rosemary

elvan

I have gone through Pulmonary Rehab after my surgery but I believe that I might benefit from going through it again.  My exercise routine has been so limited because of my shortness of breath.  It is so severe that I panic sometimes and once that starts, I have a very hard time bringing myself back from gasping for breath.  I have a portable oxygen unit and I use it when I leave the house but walking from my side porch to my car often leads me to that panic point.  I feel like I am getting worse all the time and breaking my ankle is not doing much to help me to do any weight bearing exercises.  The portable unit delivers oxygen via nasal cannula and unless you are inhaling on the cannula, there is no flow of oxygen.  That sounds fine until you are gasping for breath an mouth breathing and you can't seem to relax.  I find it very frustrating.  The only exercising I can do is upper body at this point, I have a stationary bike but my foot in a boot is not compatible with the pedals.  

I think anyone with COPD would not wish it on another person.  My sister has it as well and when we talk on the phone, we discuss our limitations and she ends up coughing or I end up so short of breath that we have to cut the call short.  We both agree that the overwhelming fatigue is one of the hardest things to get through.  We are both retired RN's who certainly knew better than to do this to ourselves, but that really doesn't matter at this point.

Thanks for sharing your progress....

Ellen

Anonymous
Not applicable

@elvan , she talked with me about the panic . You might very well benefit from taking that class again . When it's safe maybe do that . Perhaps like here you can even do it virtually right from your house

Just a thought . 

You might also find that a chronic illness class might help. I took that for my other illness and they give you ways of dealing with fatigue .. one of the best classes ever ! Have you read the spoon theory ? 

elvan

No, l have not read “The Spoon Theory”. I have RA & significant joint limitations & fatigue goes with that as well.  I am interested in the idea of talking about the panic. I will ask my pulmonologist what he thinks. I was in MUCH better shape when l took the rehab classes before. I loved the exercise equipment they had. Thanks for the suggestions. 
Ellen

0 Kudos
Gail561

@Anonymous I have COPD but as the saying goes "I have COPD but it doesn't have me". 

I do okay most of the time even if my tests don't show me improving either. I don't wheeze any longer which is a good thing. I just have to stay positive and don't pick up a smoke again.

I have mild COPD and I needed to quit for me to breathe better 

Yvonne Austin
0 Kudos