cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tiggersmom01

loss of a loved one

Jump to solution

So my quit date is scheduled for my birthday may 1st but yesterday I got the news a dear friend passed away, how am I able to stay on course while stress and anxiety being one of my triggers, please any advice would be helpful

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Maki

My condolences on the loss of your friend . 
There is one thing about starting a quit during high stress is that by overcoming this by quitting May 1 you can not only honour your friend but can make you realize that all other stresses are manageable too .So imo quitting now might actually prove to be the best thing ever for you . Just my thought but it’s your quit and whatever you choose I’m behind ya but don’t leave it please . We want you around , so I’m sure your family wants you around too . Smoking doesn’t help stress btw , it adds to it . See this is stressing you . It’s giving you self doubt  . It’s saying oh ya , wait a while @Tiggersmom01 . Remember you call the shots not addiction ,take that power back . 

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Barbscloud

@Tiggersmom01 Welcome back. Glad you haven't given up on quitting. 

I'm sorry to hear of your loss.  Stress and anxiety are common triggers for most smokers/vapers.  Nicotine actually does calm us down temporarily.  Unfortunately, it's short-lived and we need more nicotine to keep that feeling going.   

Quitting is about learning how to cope with life and our emotions without nicotine.   It's not easy, but smoking isn't going to change or make anything better.   Focus on this being a time that you choose to be stronger than the addiction.  I suspect your friend would be proud of you for making this decision for your health.

Read material on the site to understand this addiction and have your plan in place to prepare for the 1st.  You have lot of time to put your plan in place.   Believe in yourself--you can do this.

https://www.becomeanex.org/guides/?cid=footer_community_linktobex

Reinforce your quit by joining many of us on the Daily Pledge.  We're here for you, so just reach out anytime you're having a rough time.  The support from fellow quitters here is a amazing.  We want you to succeed.

Stay busy and stay close.

Barb

biscuit9

Sorry for your loss.  Unfortunately, life keeps happening no matter where/what we are doing.  All addicts, alcohol and drug users as well, still have to deal with life, while quitting.  Once you understand that "using" will not change one thing about your situation, you can understand that you don't actually NEED your drug of choice,  I am quit a little over a 1.5 now.  To be honest, one of my worries has always been that something traumatic would happen and I would take my quit and throw it out the window, due to getting into my "thinking feelings"...a big fear of mine.  Smoking again will not change one thing in your life and it will NOT remove your sorrow!!!!   This is a challenge to all quitters, not to seek solace in the nicotine.  You will not find relief in it.  Instead, you will still be grieving AND still be a nicotine addict.  

Maki

My condolences on the loss of your friend . 
There is one thing about starting a quit during high stress is that by overcoming this by quitting May 1 you can not only honour your friend but can make you realize that all other stresses are manageable too .So imo quitting now might actually prove to be the best thing ever for you . Just my thought but it’s your quit and whatever you choose I’m behind ya but don’t leave it please . We want you around , so I’m sure your family wants you around too . Smoking doesn’t help stress btw , it adds to it . See this is stressing you . It’s giving you self doubt  . It’s saying oh ya , wait a while @Tiggersmom01 . Remember you call the shots not addiction ,take that power back . 

Barbscloud

@Tiggersmom01 Best wishes on your quit.

Barb

garciafm

I'm sorry for your loss and understand that it's a stressful and difficult time. I hope that you were able to get some support and found a different way other than smoking to help you cope. Good luck