cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Danekrug1

Quit encouragement

Tomorrow is my quit date. I have made myself some notes to post around my house to be a constant reminder that I’m quitting. My biggest fear is I’m not sure how much is cravings and how much is habit. So I have posted reminder all around my house! I have no friends that have any understanding what I will be going through! Need some friends that understand….

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
3 Replies
Barbscloud

@Danekrug1 Welcome to the Ex and you found the right group of friends that understand how hard this is  and what you need to do to be successful.   If you haven't done so already, it's not to late to educate yourself about nicotine addiction and have a plan to deal with cravings, tools to use and creating new associations to replace smoking.  We have our favorites.   I used Sour Patch kid, chewing on straws, playing video games and walking.   If you're able, walking is a great way to refocus your thoughts and get an added boost of dopamine needed when eliminating nicotine. And deep breathing exercises will help you get through some tough times.  

Barbscloud_1-1682518700852.gif

This link has some great information to get you started on the right track. https://www.becomeanex.org/guides/?cid=footer_community_linktobex

These are some common physical withdrawal symptoms (there can be more).

Withdrawal symptoms.png

The habit (or psychological aspect) has more to do with when and where you smoke.  After a meal, in your car, when you're happy, when you're sad, etc.  That's where creating new associations comes into play.  What can you do instead of smoking when you're stressed, having your coffee, going to events, etc.?  Be creative!   Instead of smoking, go for a walk, take shower, chew on straws, hard candy, call a friend, and come to the Ex and read/post. 

Putting reminders around your house is a great visual tool to help with your quit.   

Have you chosen to use a quit aid?  They can really help with the initial withdrawal symptoms.

And join many of us on the Daily Pledge to stay accountable to yourself and stay on track one day at a time.

So glad you found us. This site was instrumental in my quit after 50 years of smoking and numerous unsuccessful attempts at quitting. When I found the Ex I learned how to quit for the first time and how invaluable support can be to achieve the goal of becoming an Ex.

Stay busy and stay close.  Let me know how your first day goes.  It will be a challenge, but with the right attitude and tools, I know you can do it.

Stay busy and stay close.

Barb

0 Kudos
biscuit9

"If I smoke ONE, I will always want another one".

"You can climb this mountain.  The view from the top is amazing".

"You are not giving up anything.  You are gaining everything BACK".  Your body is begging you to let it heal.  

0 Kudos
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello @Danekrug1! My name is Quiana, and I am a part of the EX Team. Congratulations on your decision to quit! I wanted to reach out and personally welcome you to the EX Community! We are so excited you have joined us. This is a very supportive community so feel free to keep us all posted on your quit journey reach out and let us know if you need anything.

Here are some articles that might be helpful as you prepare for your quit date: 

https://www.becomeanex.org/ex-resources/about-quitting/get-ready-to-quit/right-before-you-quit/

https://www.becomeanex.org/ex-resources/about-quitting/get-ready-to-quit/3-ways-to-get-your-support-...

Quiana, EX Team

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos