cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Maxinasilvers

Quit date approaching and no faith in myself to beat smoking

Jump to solution

My quit date is approaching and I’ve tried to quit so many times and fail. I find that when I quit smoking I obsess about smoking and that when I do smoke I also obsess about needing to quit. And so the cycle goes. 

0 Kudos
3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Maxinasilvers

Thank you for the tips and kind words. I didn’t expect such a wonderful response from someone! I believe you when you say it’s worth it. I really do want to look back someday and say I can’t believe I ever smoked. 

View solution in original post

Barbscloud

@Maxinasilvers Welcome to the Ex.  What your expressing is pretty normal.  Nicotine is an addiction that can keep drawing us back.  The key to quitting for many quitters is educating yourself about nicotine addiction, having a plan in place, and using the support available here from fellow quitters. It took me 50 years and many attempts to finally get it right.   That happened with the help of the Ex.

This link has some great information to learn about tools to use, cravings and creating new associations to replace smoking.   

https://www.becomeanex.org/guides/?cid=footer_community_linktobex

Also join many of us on the Daily Pledge to stay on track one day at a time.

Look forward to celebrating with you on the 1st.  I'm a March quitter and will have 6 years on the 13th.  Believe in yourself--you can do this.  Reach out anytime you need some help.

Barb

Maxinasilvers

Thank you so much I would love to be able to reach out to you when I am struggling and also thank you for the link! 

9 Replies
Maki

It’s pretty normal to feel like you are obsessing when you first quit . Just trust that it does go away ok . Everything takes time . Quitting is a process , a learning curve gathering tools you can use to help distract and delay those thoughts .  Breathing techniques are also useful if you can focus if not walking will also do the trick . Stick around , you’ll soon have many ideas in your tool box and the always the support of Ex . I encourage posting , reading , journalling . Never feel you are posting to much and that you should be stronger , posting is strength and it’s a willingness to do anything this time to make this quit your successful one . Welcome to Ex . One day at a time , give it time and be patient for the long haul is worth it . 

Maxinasilvers

Thank you for the tips and kind words. I didn’t expect such a wonderful response from someone! I believe you when you say it’s worth it. I really do want to look back someday and say I can’t believe I ever smoked. 

Barbscloud

@Maxinasilvers Welcome to the Ex.  What your expressing is pretty normal.  Nicotine is an addiction that can keep drawing us back.  The key to quitting for many quitters is educating yourself about nicotine addiction, having a plan in place, and using the support available here from fellow quitters. It took me 50 years and many attempts to finally get it right.   That happened with the help of the Ex.

This link has some great information to learn about tools to use, cravings and creating new associations to replace smoking.   

https://www.becomeanex.org/guides/?cid=footer_community_linktobex

Also join many of us on the Daily Pledge to stay on track one day at a time.

Look forward to celebrating with you on the 1st.  I'm a March quitter and will have 6 years on the 13th.  Believe in yourself--you can do this.  Reach out anytime you need some help.

Barb

Maxinasilvers

Thank you so much I would love to be able to reach out to you when I am struggling and also thank you for the link! 

Barbscloud

@Maxinasilvers Absolutely!   Would be happy to help if I can.

Barb

0 Kudos
Tammyr697

Viscous cycle…. True story! My quit date is rapidly arriving. II’m more stressed out about the “quitting” than the actual stress of wanting to quit.

Tammy Riley
Barbscloud

@Tammyr697 Happy to hear you're sticking to quit date tomorrow.

Anxiety about quitting is normal. Many describe it as losing their best friend, We've smoked our way through every event and emotion, so it's only normal that were apprehensive. Approaching your quit one day at a time can help to alleviate the fear. Don't think about forever right now. You'll see those one days will turn into multiple days.

I overcame the fear when I realized it was a choice and I could smoke again if I choose to.  I only had to do it for one day.  That one day has turned into 6 years this month.

If you haven't read this material to prepare for your quit, it's not to late.   https://www.becomeanex.org/guides/?cid=footer_community_linktobex

We're here cheering you on so reach out anytime we can help.

Stay busy and stay close.

Barb

Barbscloud

@Maxinasilvers The big day is near.  Have you been preparing for your quit by reading material on the site?  Knowledge and preparation have been key for many of our quits.

Stay busy and stay close.

Barb

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

@Maxinasilvers Hope your quit is on track.  How are you doing?

Barb

0 Kudos