cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BarbBrad

Just decided to try again to quit.

I have never been good with willpower.   I have tried to quit so many times,  I can't count them.  

The problem is, I love smoking.  I've used smoking as an excuse to not get things done. 

I was finally tested at 36yrs old for ADD.  The Dr was surprised because she'd never seen a score like mine.  99 means you don't have it, mine was a 1.  They immediately got me on medication and that has helped.  

The only negative vice I have is smoking.   I use that as an excuse to my friends who drink alcohol etc. 

It's as if I have all the excuses not to quit.  

I hate the urges.  I hate the smell.  It's embarrassing. 

Yet, I don't know why I still smoke. I feel like an idiot.  

6 Replies
champsin97

Good for you.  I just decided to quit again also.  On day 2.  This seems like a great support system.  Stayed involved and learn as much as you can to help with your journey.  

BarbBrad

I will.  This may sound strange but, I'm not excited...yet

0 Kudos
MarilynH

Welcome to the community @BarbBrad AND welcome to the community @champsin97 you've both made the best decision you'll ever make in your lifetime and it's definitely the best gift that any of us for giving ourselves the Gift of LIFE! Please read everything you can because there's a wealth of information right here on this site to strengthen your resolve to kick the nicotine poison to the curb permanently it's definitely NOT easy by any stretch of the imagination but as long as you're willing determined and totally committed to succeed then you will persevere through the roller coaster ride of cravings and moodswings and lack of sleep to get to that good place in your quit where you'll realize how much better life is as an EXer! You've got this believe it! 

Barbscloud

@BarbBrad Welcome to the Ex and congrats on your decision to quit.  It's really about willingness, not will power.

A big part of liking to smoke, is that we have to keep feeding the addiction.  Nicotine was designed to give you a temporary high so you need more in a short period of time.  That's how you and all of us got addicted.   Understanding nicotine addiction gives you the power to overcome it's hold on you. Having a plan with how to cope with cravings and withdrawal symptoms, puts you in control.

A big part of quitting is creating new associations to replace smoking.  There's where you plan comes into play.  This link is a great place to learn about tools, cravings and creating those associations.  It's also educating yourself about nicotine addiction plays a big role in a successful quit.

https://www.becomeanex.org/guides/

We're here to support you, so reach out anytime we can help.  Join many of us on the Daily Pledge.  It's a great way to stay on track one day at a time.

Pick a date, create your plan, and join us on your journey to becoming and Ex.

Stay busy and stay close.

Barb

0 Kudos
biscuit9

I urge you to educate yourself on this addiction.  Just take a little time to learn about it, so you understand what you are dealing with.  Read about what others have gone through and what can help you.  @champsin97   Just wanted to encourage you to keep going.  You will never regret quitting and your lungs will thank you.  Get through today, sometimes one hour at a time.  

SuzyQ411

@BarbBrad 

@champsin97 

Great reads at this site to help educate and guide you onward:

BEST OF THE EX 

welcome aboard.jpg