cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ewwnomore

Friends?

This is a bit ridiculous but I need to get it out. I've quit many times before but ultimately I always start again. Generally thus happens because I end up hanging out with smokers..I set my quit a week ago and the only time I've slipped was 2 in the presence of a smoker friend. I ended up asking him to leave and not hang out for awhile because while I'm adjusting, I can't handle the temptation. 

He's upset with me. And I get it but also.....

Does it get easier to be around smokers? Has anyone lost a friend trying to quit?

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
3 Replies
champsin97

I hate to say it, and this is just my opinion, but if he doesn't understand what you're going through then he is not being a very good friend.  He's not looking out for your best interests.  If someone is not gonna be your friend bceause you quit were they really a friend? 

As far as hanging out with smokers, it get's easier.  I actually embrase it.  Knowing that I am stronger than these other people.  Chances are that most smokers you're around wish they could stop smoking.  The difference is you're the one strong enough to do it.  Kudo's to you!

Barbscloud

@ewwnomore Welcome to the Ex and I'm happy you haven't given up on your desire to quit. It took me 50 years and many attempts, so I know you can do this. Some quitters need to avoid people, places and things early in their quit.  If you need to do that to be successful, then that's what's important.  Remember, it's only temporary.  I was able to be around smokers  when I first quit, but I had to avoid my deck the first summer.  We're all different and may need to avoid certain triggers.  Like @champsin97 said, a good friend will support you but may feel left out for at first. Be honest about how important this is to you and then it's out of your hands how they react.

It's important to understand that nicotine is an addiction.  When armed with that knowledge, quitting becomes more possible.  There are psychological habits attached also, so we have to work on both.  Early on it's the physical addiction we have to work through. The psychological part takes longer.  We've attached every emotion and activity with smoking so it takes some work to find new associations to replace the old.   

So educate yourself about nicotine and create a quit plan. Along with the support of fellow quitters these two steps has meant success for many smokers. 

This link is a great lace to start. Learn how to identify your triggers, the tools you'll use, creating new associations instead of smoking, etc. 

https://www.becomeanex.org/guides/?cid=footer_community_linktobex

Make the commitment and you can do this too.  We're here to support you on your journey.  So reach out anytime you need help, want to share your experience or to support fellow quitters. We're all in this together.

Join many of us on the the Daily Pledge.  It's a great way to stay on track on day at a time.

Pick a date, create a plan and join us on your journey to becoming an Ex. You may even influence your friend to quit. It will be the beginning of a new way of life.

Stay busy and stay close.

Barbscloud_0-1697041850754.jpeg

Barb

0 Kudos
biscuit9

I haven't lost any friends over it, but I made it perfectly clear I could not go outside when they smoked.  Don't apologize or feel bad for sticking to your commitment.  It is perfectly ok to be selfish right now, in my opinion.  I avoided certain places as well.  It was almost 6 mos. before I could sit outside with my buddies while they smoked.  I promised myself that if I was tempted, I would go back inside, but I ended up smelling their smoke and being ok.  It is very important that you rid yourself of this addiction....first and foremost.  Hopefully your friend will understand how much this matters to you.  You are trying to get through hell week and I applaud you for not letting ANYTHING or ANYONE stand in your way!!!!