cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tpaccione

I’m a teacher, and the withdrawal is making this impossible

Hey y’all.  Wondering anyone has some advice.   I’m a high school teacher who works really hard to give my students the best possible education they can get.  Every time I try to quit nicotine (I’m a zynner) the withdrawal symptoms are so severe that I feel like I’m letting them down and I succumb to that pressure and reengage with the drug to get back to normal.  When I say that the withdrawal makes me dumb as a rock I’m not exaggerating and these kids are depending on me to teach them advanced math.  I don’t know what to do because I have no interest in this drug being a part or my life. Any help is very appreciated 

6 Replies
MarilynH

Welcome to the community @Tpaccione you've made the best decision you'll ever make in your lifetime and it's definitely the best gift that any of us for giving ourselves the Gift of LIFE! Please read everything you can because there's a wealth of information right here on this site to strengthen your resolve to kick the nicotine poison to the curb permanently it's definitely not easy by any stretch of the imagination but as long as you're willing determined and totally committed to succeed then you will persevere through the roller coaster ride of cravings and moodswings and lack of sleep to be Free! Once you pick a quit date and your day ONE arrives keep your mind as well as your hands occupied and at the end of the day you'll be able to say YAY for Day WON! I chomped on carrots and celery sticks and I kept a bag of sugar free mints around in case of any unforseen cravings plus I drank a lot of water and still do! You can and will be successful in your upcoming quit journey believe it! Stay close and reach out whenever you need to or just want to vent we're all here to help you in any way we can you've got this! 

Barbscloud

@Tpaccione Welcome to the Ex and congrats on your desire to quit. There are going to be some withdrawal symptoms, but they will pass.  Being "dumb" is actually brain fog experienced by many quitters.  

It's important to educate yourself about nicotine addiction and create a quit plan.  Many have found success with knowledge and preparation.   It took me 50 years and many attempts to finally get it. I went into my quits blindly and was never successful.  In addition to some aids, I found the Ex a week prior to my quit.  For the first time I learned how to quit and had the support that was always lacking.

This link is a great place to start.

https://www.becomeanex.org/guides/?cid=footer_community_linktobex

Have you given any thought to using a quit aid?  I used Welbutrin and nicotrol and the physical withdrawal symptoms were nil.  There is also the psychological part of quitting that can be more difficult and that's why it's important to create new associations to replace the Zyn.

Make the commitment and you can do this too.  We're here to support you on your journey.  So reach out anytime you need help, want to share your experience or to support fellow quitters. We're all in this together.

Join many  of us on the Daily Pledge.  It's a great way to stay on track on day at a time.

Identify the tools you'll use and utilizing  the support from this site will get you through!

Stay busy and stay close.

Barb

Maki

Just going to throw out some ideas @Tpaccione . Welcome to Ex by the way , glad you are here . 

I’m wondering if you could fit a quit date when you have a few days to yourself and do lots of reading here prior to that date . Christmas break is soon , perhaps give yourself three weeks to read learn and prepare in this time period leading up to your quit . Start by reading daily posts here the best of Ex and Mayo blogs . Research the site for any questions you might be concerned about in the search engine and posts will come up pertaining to it . 

I am wondering if your students might be supportive in helping you quit . By telling them you are quitting they may be of tremendous support . Not only that , you would be teaching them a lot as well . My niece has a brain tumour . She as well is a high school teacher . Those students know how to deal with her seizures . They have really remarkably helped each other . She never quit teaching not even during chemo , and she is still teaching ( although only 4 days a week now ) . 

Do a couple weeks of test runs while you continue reading here and maybe don’t smoke on the weekends ?  It will give you encouragement to know you can do this . Or , what the heck , just go for it . You decide . The withdrawals don’t last too long , it’s the associations that take time to overcome . 

You will figure out just what’s right for you . You know you best . 

champsin97

How about quitting over summer break.  Just an idea.  

Thank-you for your dedication in educating our kids.  Kudos to you!!

Wozlik

@Tpaccione  wahooooo!  Congrats on making the choice to quit Zynn.  I know what it feels like to want to give your students 1,000%.  And your kids probably appreciate you.  I think that there are some great ideas presented - educate yourself, try a quit aid, pick a time when you have some free time to adjust and then be ready for re-entry.  I think letting your students know could be beneficial to them, but how would your administration be with that?  It could help you be accountable.  A school wide quit for the new year with the money saved going toward something special.

maryfreecig

All of us had "I'd like to quit, but..." moments. Highly stressing stuff is probably at the top of the list. Addiction is circular--if you had never taken up nicotine, you'd be a fabulous teacher all the same. But the addiction is now in control, so you have to decide on your escape route. Lots of things to consider: prepare yourself mentally as well as you prepare to do the best by your kids, consider NRT, stay connected with becomeanEx, take a few weeks off if you can, take a week off before a vacation week, make compromises, choose some substitutes (a squishy toy, hard candy, straw to chew on, etc). Keep reading, keep prying open that part of you that really does want to quit no matter what. Definitely don't give up!!!

iMarkup_20210523_082833.jpgScreenshot 2023-01-11 at 9.34.24 PM.pngScreenshot_20221025-074827.jpg