cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lianni

Day 1: What now?

New here! Finally deciding that I need to quit vaping. I used quitting cigs as an excuse for my vaping but it’s been 4+ years now. 
I wrote the goodbye letter, I know my support system, and I’m going to get nicotine gum. 
Now what? How do I taper myself off? I know it’s better to ween yourself off than quit cold turkey for cigs but what about vaping? How do I measure how much I’m vaping when I’m puffing this thing countless times a day? It’s not like cigs where you can literally count the number of times you smoked.

Any advice is helpful and appreciated!

2 Replies
MarilynH

Welcome to the community @Lianni you've made the best decision you'll ever make in your lifetime and it's definitely the best gift that any of us for giving ourselves the Gift of LIFE! Everyone's quit is different, please read everything you can because there's a wealth of information right here on this site to strengthen your resolve to kick the nicotine poison to the curb permanently it's definitely NOT easy at times BUT it sure is worth all of the cravings and moodswings and lack of sleep to be Free, stay close and reach out whenever you need to or just want to vent we're all here to help you in any way we can! 

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

@Lianni Welcome to the Ex.  There are many ways to quit and one isn't better than another.  It's a personal choice.    Cutting down, using quit aids, or quitting cold turkey or a combination of quit techniques are all options.      I used aids and cut down for week.  I don't think it matters if it's cigarettes or vaping.

If you're using nicotine gum, you've already chosen not to quit  cold turkey.

If you choose to cut down, it's really how you choose to do it.  Delaying is one way.  Just wait longer between vaping.  I personally cut down for week prior to my quit on a strict schedule reducing the number of cigarettes each day.  Don't have your vape nearby so you need to think about using it.   

It sounds like you've begun your preparation.  That's great.

No matter how you choose to quit, cold turkey or with aids, the important thing is to educate yourself about nicotine addiction and have a quit plan. Many have found success with knowledge and preparation. It took me 50 years and many attempts to finally get it. I went into my quits blindly and was never successful. In addition to some aids for my final quit, I found the Ex a week prior to my quit. For the first time I learned how to quit and had the support that was always lacking.

This link is a great place to start.
https://www.becomeanex.org/guides/?cid=footer_community_linktobex

Make the commitment and you can do this too. We're here to support you on your journey. So reach out anytime you need help, want to share your experience or to support fellow quitters. We're all in this together.

Join many of u by taking the Daily Pledge. It's a great way to stay on track on day at a time.

Stay busy and stay close.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

You might find this helpful from the Mayo Clinic

Updated: 6/22/2022

If I vape, smoke cigars or pipe, or use chewing tobacco, how much nicotine replacement should I use when trying to quit?

Knowing how much nicotine replacement to use when trying to quit vaping, chewing, or smoking cigars or a pipe, is more difficult than when the tobacco user uses cigarettes exclusively.  The following are general recommendations when considering quitting these tobacco products and wanting to use nicotine replacement therapy (NRT).

For those who vapes, or uses a pipe or cigar, a good guide to NRT is the following:

If you are a non-daily user of vape, cigars or pipe, try a 2 mg nicotine gum, 2 mg nicotine lozenge, or the nicotine inhaler.  While those who vape are aware that different devices or nicotine liquids are advertised as having specific concentrations of nicotine, these labels cannot be relied on to estimate total nicotine exposure, so the general rule of trying the 2 mg nicotine gum, 2 mg nicotine lozenge, or the nicotine inhaler with those who are non-daily users is best.  The nicotine gum and nicotine lozenge are available over the counter.  You can use 1-2 pieces of the gum or lozenge every 1-2 hours.  The nicotine inhaler (available only by prescription) has a maximum daily usage is 16 cartridges per day.

If you vape, or use a cigar or pipe daily, you can also try adding a 14 mg nicotine patch to the 2 mg gum, 2 mg lozenge or nicotine inhaler.  Nicotine patches last 24 hours; so, you put it on in the morning, wear them to bed at night, and put a fresh one on the next morning.  A general recommendation is to taper down 7 mg on the patches every 4 weeks, and to use the patches for at least 3 months.

For those who chew tobacco, I would suggest dosing NRT as this:

If you are a daily user who uses less than 1 can per week, start with daily use of the 14 mg nicotine patch placing a new one on each day. If you use between 1 and 3 cans per week, start with the 21 mg nicotine patch. If you use more 3 cans/week you could add a 7 mg, 14 mg, or 21 mg patch if you start with the 21 mg patch and have cravings and urges. At all doses, having the 2 mg or 4 mg nicotine gum or lozenge available for cravings will help with urges and cravings. 

If you are getting too much nicotine, the symptoms would be dizziness or nauseousness.  In this case, you will want to consider stepping down on your patch, gum, or lozenge dosage.

Reference: Nicotine percentage replacement among smokeless tobacco users with nicotine patch - PubMed (nih.gov)

*Note: These are just examples. Please connect with a physician and the manufacturer of the NRT to ensure you're using the product correctly for your specific case.

EX Community Admin Team

Barb

0 Kudos