Connect with others living with health conditions

dawn4

Cancer Survivors and Fighters

Good morning, Jojo!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
120 Replies
twty906

I  found out -last july-that i had pre-cancer in my vocal cords- and the cords are stripped from smoking-I was to quit right away-in hopes of a full recovery- but I have not quit-I make it about 7 days and fall-my grown kids are getting very worried -because they do not want to lose thier mom-I was divorced june 13 th- after 31 yrs of marraige-it hurt me so bad-I need to stop- but I have not made up my mind for myself-and that is bad-very bad- I have to get another camera scope in march-the more i stress over all of it- the worse it becomes-My heart is still very broken-I am very depressed-I need help to quit-I have prayer-but I have to lay them down-I need a miracle-every 15-20 mins of my waking day-I smoke- Help me

0 Kudos
elvan

So happy to see more members here.  We have all been affected by smoking, some of us more than others and some of us woke up earlier than others.  I lost both of my upper lobes of my lungs and I am reminded every day that I did this by smoking.  Letting go of the guilt is a tough one but I am working on it as I hope we all are.

0 Kudos

Even though I know how to care for my COPD I got into some really bad habits! But pulling myself out by first, making an appointment with my case manager on Monday. Somehow I need accountability or I just wind up ignoring my condition. ot very bright!

0 Kudos
smorgy8513

Love that people are joining.

Love that people are brave enough to share their stories.

Anyone want to share more?

I've shared this before.......my dad died at the age of 64 from lung cancer.......did I quit?     NOOOOOOO......

I was immune to getting cancer.....'won't happen to me'..........and i was dealing with so much in my life at that time that I thought I HAD to smoke to get through life.

How dumb was that?

Wish I could reach out and touch each and every Newbie and share that they NEED to quit, they are NOT invincible.

But I had to learn in my time and I guess they do to.

But we can keep spreading the news that we are going to be free.

At least I won't be lying in a hospital with a breathing tube and trying to smoke!

If there is anyone else that you think would benefit from this group please send out an invite or maybe I have to......not sure.    I want people to feel safe talking about their fears, their victories and even the battles.

Love to all!

0 Kudos
smorgy8513

Hello my friends.........

How does the weather affect your illness?        I think about my fibro and know that is affected big time by weather.

But I think other issues are also affected.

Share about yours.

Sharon

0 Kudos
elvan

You asked about how the weather affects us...I can tell you that the humidity makes me feel like I have to really struggle to breathe and my oxygen saturations drop like a stone.  I have loved being able to work out in a pool outside but I am really tired of the humidity.  I have terrible allergies to leaf mold so I will have to deal with that very soon.  I know some people with COPD have issues breathing when it is really cold.  I have not noticed that.  I hope everyone has an amazing day today and that we all stay smoke free and remember that quitting is the best thing we could possibly have done for ourselves.

0 Kudos

Today is rainy. I have a sinus headache, my oxygensats are very low and my body is totally lethargic. I call it the wet spaghetti syndrome because my limbs feel heavy and wobbly and don't respond well to commands like stand up! Nevertheless I know that the best thing for me to do to recover is walk - a lot! So I demand of my body that it stand up now! Walk now! Breathe pursed lip. Move! It's physically but it's also mentally exhausting!

0 Kudos
JustSharon

I haven't noticed tthe weather outside bother my COPD as much as the temperature indoors that bothers me. When my COPD was in its mild stage and I didn't have oxygen yet, I slept on the sofa  straight up  with the air conditioner on. I did that for 2 years. Poor Jake missed me, but more than understood. When it would get a bit too warm in the shower, I would have to slide the door open so the cooler air could get in. I enjoy my hot showers, but not at the expense of my breathing. Once I got put on oxygen I was finally able to go back to bed, but out of fear still sleep in an upright posistion. I guess I still have some fear I won't be able to breathe,unfounded as that may be at this time. I still love to sit outside even when it is quite warm, but that usually leads me back on the oxygen.

0 Kudos
smorgy8513

Morning.      It is colder today and my body feels Fall coming.       Then add the fact that they gave me a shot yesterday (2 more, today and tomorrow) and the side effects are fatigue and bones hurting (because it's working on the bone marrow).    I told the nurse I already had it and so probably wouldn't notice it.......WRONG!

Much worse today.......and I have to go and get another shot and then so see a woman at Pathways that is going to talk to me about Wisdom Tools which will help me with relationships while I am in process of this disease.

We'll see what she has to say....anything interesting and I'll share it with you.

So, new idea.......how do you cope with it when weather (or stress) makes it worse.

THAT'S what i want to know.

Bless your day!

0 Kudos

Dressing warmly when you have to go out helps as does healthy food and exercise. Yesterday I went to Yoga and although my Oxygen wasn't anything to brag about it wasn't in the basement either. There are many breathing techniques you can use. Deep breathing really helps by cutting off the Vagus Nerve reaction to stress and anxiety. I think this would help you a lot, Sharon. 

Also visualization and guided imagery as well as mindfulness meditation are very useful in relieving both symptoms of pain and anxiety due to stress. There are many great techniques at a website called Belleruth.Journaing can be helpful and therapeutic art if you like to draw. You draw the pain and then destroy the artwork. 

I picture in my mind the bodily functions that are not working well and visualize them loosening and repairing as they flow into proper function. For example I see the balloons called alveoli that are like a worn out balloon becoming more resilient and expelling the CO2 that makes me feel weak. I also visualize the CO2 as Black and the inhale as Light Blue. I see myself inhaling the Blue and expelling the Black.

There's other stuff like that but I might get timed out!

0 Kudos