Connect with others living with health conditions

dawn4

Cancer Survivors and Fighters

Good morning, Jojo!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
120 Replies
amanda-ward

I have just finished my last chemo treatment for Hodgkins Lymphoma. I'm 32 and have been smoking since I was15. It's really nice to read the stories of other cancer survivors. I thought I was the only one that would still smoke with a cancer diagnosis. I have had such a hard time quitting and feel like such a failure. The chemo messed up my lungs and im afraid they will not recover. My wonderful son is 5 and I really want to live for him. I have to stop smoking NOW and I could really use some help. Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

0 Kudos
dee61

This is my first day on this site....I have set my quit date for 1/10/13.  I have attempted to quit smoking several times and finally reached out for help and support!  I am excited to have found a group who I have things in common with and look forward to being able to share our experiences!

0 Kudos

Hi, This is my first time posting. I have Lynch Syndrome. It is a genetic disorder that makes me have a higher risk of developing certain cancers. So far I have survived 5 cancers. Like everyone esle you would think that would have stopped me from smoking,but, no I have smoked since I was 17, I am 60 now.  I also have a love hate realationship with smoking. My quit day is Jan. 22.

0 Kudos
mary239

This is my first day here and my quit date is 1/18/13...I've tried to quit before, infact about 2 weeks ago I stopped cold turky for 7 day's......but then I started wallowing in self pity and thinking about my COPD and the mastectomy I had done last month, and the cemo I will be starting and ....BAM....off the wagon again. So I found EX while sulking and brow beating myself and I am really impressed. I am going to quit, I have found that other people are doing it with the same problems I have, but most of all the truth and the will to change an addiction within my self is a big step in my life.....but knowing that I have positive people behind my back will really make a difference and that I'm not alone....Thanks EX and everyone here.

0 Kudos
sunshine82

I just found this group and see that I am not alone , I have breast cancer and will have surgury as soon as I'm 3 wks off cigs. I'm waiting for help from the company for Chantax, but will ask for wellbutrin tommorow. I too have a love/hate relationship. I don't know what to do about the triggers. I have no car, job, money , and I don't know but 2 people here. My kids are around but are grown and have busy lives as they should. I simply have no distractions. Inbetween naps I clean this 1 bedroom house. I miss my active life and don't know how to make one here. When I am well I will return to the Black Hills. Thank you for letting me vent, this is the only place I can

0 Kudos
iamhugs2

OMGoodness! All I can say is that this is my first day and I don't think I can do this......

I have not even been awake for 2 hours now and already I am going up the walls. This is just crazy how strong this addiction is.

0 Kudos
raeb

hey iam rae.i had a lung removed last yr

cancer

iam still smoking 1 or 2 a day cant seem to give it up...

0 Kudos
Brian100

Hi Folks - I am a stage IV NHL survivor and two weeks smoke - free.  Love to read posts here to stay motivated.  Please post when you can.

0 Kudos
janet29

Wow. I thought I was the only person who had been treated for cancer and was still smoking.  It seems everyone around me has been quitting for me, except for me.  I did good for 3-4 weeks, then took a trip to see my sister (who is a smoker) and went with my daughter (who is a smoker) and picked the habit right back up again.

0 Kudos
jhunter2

I am  Breast cancer patient. I did quit smoking for about 15 day when I was diagnosed. Because of the stress and suffering from depression my onco;ogist told me not to add to my stress and depression by quitting at the time.  Big mistake !!  I start to smoke again,  I get so depressed i smoke more at times.  I really wish I could stop..

0 Kudos