cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

historyteach

relapsed...

Yes, I'm sorry to say, I relapsed.
I was doing very well, too. But, I had a very, VERY stressful situation at home. Was that an excuse? Probably not. But, I relapsed anyway.

I have a neighbor who lives right behind me. She's an alcoholic. She took in a former tenent of mine, who robbed me of @ $20,000. Since then, she's been harrassing me. She wants to be his "champion" or something, I guess. This has been going on for 2 years. And she's escalated. She's now threatened me, and filed a false police charge against my son. I've had the police here more often than I can shake a stick at. Three neighbors have seen her come over and attack me, totally unprovoked. I can't even enjoy my yard. Her dogs have attacked my son's g/f's children and she does nothing, though she witnessed it!

I had to get a restraining order against her. And I've been advised to report her to the board of health as an impaired physician. But, she's totally crazy and, frankly, I'm scared of what she'll do next, if I do. We have to go to court on Monday.

So, I relapsed. My son and his g/f and her kids are staying with me for a while. She smokes. The sickarettes were right here, and it was just too easy to pick up. I asked, she handed a butt right over to me. My bad, yes. I'm making no excuses. My nerves were completely shot! The police were here three times the day I picked up, and I had to call them a forth time, due to this nut case!

This is my summer vacation from school. I still have to do 40 hours of professional development. I've been looking for a part time job, to help pay for the oil bill this coming winter, but, no one's hiring. My mom is sick, and I"m going to have to spend 10 days with her. Some vacation, huh? :>(

My plan is to quit again on July 22nd. That's my birthday. It's a good time for a quit. A new start. In the meantime, I"m still taking one chantix each day, to keep it in my blood and brain neurotransmitters. I hope that's the right thing to do...

Anyway, I just wanted you all to know.

Shalom!
0 Kudos
15 Replies
historyteach

Thanks, James.
I appreciate the support.

Shalom!
0 Kudos
doreen1

Wow, teach, you've got a lot on your plate. #1 ask your son's g/f to smoke outside - out front if its not safe out back. You need to get your quit back! #2 Don't let this nutcase get the best of you - let your withdrawal grumpies give you the strength to do whatever is needed to keep your family safe. Have your son build you a privacy fence if needed so you don't have to even see this woman - and if she destroys it, you can add destruction of property and vandalism to her growing list of law breaking stunts. Call animal control on her dogs - here in FL we have leash laws and if a dog attacks anyone outside of their own property, the dog can be quarantined and the owner could have to pay huge fines and post BAD DOG signs with even greater restrictions compared to non-violent dogs. Don't let this woman bully you. If she is a physician, then you have a civic duty to report her to whoever will investigate her behavior. I certainly would NOT want her treating me or any of my loved ones! YOU HAVE RIGHTS! And amongst the rights to live safely in your home, you have the right to do whatever you have to do (legally) to be healthy. So, pull yourself up by your bootstraps, dust yourself off and start your quit over again. YOU CAN DO THIS!! Holler if you need me 🙂
0 Kudos
doreen1

Wow, teach, you've got a lot on your plate. #1 ask your son's g/f to smoke outside - out front if its not safe out back. You need to get your quit back! #2 Don't let this nutcase get the best of you - let your withdrawal grumpies give you the strength to do whatever is needed to keep your family safe. Have your son build you a privacy fence if needed so you don't have to even see this woman - and if she destroys it, you can add destruction of property and vandalism to her growing list of law breaking stunts. Call animal control on her dogs - here in FL we have leash laws and if a dog attacks anyone outside of their own property, the dog can be quarantined and the owner could have to pay huge fines and post BAD DOG signs with even greater restrictions compared to non-violent dogs. Don't let this woman bully you. If she is a physician, then you have a civic duty to report her to whoever will investigate her behavior. I certainly would NOT want her treating me or any of my loved ones! YOU HAVE RIGHTS! And amongst the rights to live safely in your home, you have the right to do whatever you have to do (legally) to be healthy. So, pull yourself up by your bootstraps, dust yourself off and start your quit over again. YOU CAN DO THIS!! Holler if you need me 🙂
0 Kudos
historyteach

Hi, Doreen,
And thank you for your support.
We are going to court today. She has the right to refute the restraining order, if she chooses -- or dares! I have the police reports and photos. And, if she does, I'll tell her, in front of the judge, that she can turn herself in as an impaired physician to the board of heath, or *I* will do it for her.
The police and the dog officer have known about this for two years and have done nothing! I finally called the town manager. Now, they are beginning to take me seriously. Seems the police didn't hand the reports into the dog officer, or so she said....who knows?
I'm not sitting back and taking her bull. But, the stress of her constant harrassment and the false charges against my son *did* get to me.
My son's g/f won't be here much longer. The smoking won't be an issue much longer. ;>)

Thanks again. I will get back on track, cuz this is something I want. I was quit for over two years before I relapsed in December. I just have to get back to it. :>)

Shalom!
0 Kudos
angel6

Hi.. I just wanted to offer you my support! I know how hard it is to keep a quit when stress is over the top!
Psychiatrists are the worst when it comes to behavioral problems! I hope court went well today, and that your issues were resolved postively. Good luck to you on your new quit tomorrow! I'm here if you need anything!

Smoke free for Two weeks, 11 hours, 0 minutes and 18 seconds. 231 cigarettes not smoked, saving $44.53. Life saved: 19 hours, 15 minutes.
0 Kudos
robin18

Do not beat yourself up. I have wanted to have a cig everytime something goes wrong in my life big or small and I have been smoke free for 2 months today. My husband and I had a huge fight on Friday night and the first thing I thought of was smoking. Then I thought will it change the fact that I am mad at my husband, will it make the fight any better, will it make him say he is sorry, will it make me feel better, will it solve the problem that started the fight in the first place and most of all how will I feel after I smoke that cig? Then after thinking all of this (out loud) I will feel worse if I smoke. Because after all I would still be fighting with my husband and then on top of that I have to quit again. So I would have 2 problem to deal with instead of 1. So I decided not to smoke and I have to say I am so glad I did. You have to do a lot of talking to yourself while you are quitting. Always weigh the pros and cons and believe me the cons will always win. You can talk yourself out of it everytime. Good luck!!!
0 Kudos