cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

gin

I'm F***ing SCARED to quit!

I've moved up my quit day to tomorrow because of the medication I'm taking. I got scared by the fact that smoking could increase heart problems with this medication. I've already got a family history of heart issues! So I decided to move my dated up to the day I had to start the medication. Well, now I'm scared to quit! I know I need to quit but I think having my quit date literally around the corner is making me think about smoking even more! I've gone through the exercises on becomeanex.org and planned it out...triggers and all. But being a smoker seems easier! Does anyone understand that line of thinking? I know I need help!!!
0 Kudos
7 Replies
candice-smith

yes i do understand its what happened to me 60 daysago when i quit. i was very afraid of failure . but i'm being straight up with you it is hard but it wasn't nearly as hard as i made to out in my head to be. if you are truly ready you can do it. just remember that no matter what happens that smoking is no longer a option. for the first couple of weeks i chanted over and over in my head N.O.P.E. ( not one puff ever ) and the words I QUIT!! i am a non smoker. alot of it is your mindset don't say i'll try to quit . yell at the top of your lungs I QUIT! mean it and you will beat this addiction, i promise.
0 Kudos
polly2

Of course we understand it and that feeling applies to almost every single one of us! However, it you get involved here, work on maintaining a positive attitude to stop the nasty nicodemonic thoughts in your head and read as much as you can, both here and at whyquit.com, you will start off on the right track. My mantra is, "smoking is not an option!" It works wonders for me...I no longer think about smoking or have a desire to smoke. Yes, I still get cravings, but each craving is yet another sign that the deadly toxins, which we pollute our bodies with are leaving. That means we are giving ourself back the precious gift of health and a new extended life!! How awesome is that? VERY AWESOME!! We are all here to help you in anyway possible!! Also, drink lots of juice the first 3 days. Our blood sugar levels drop when we first stop, which makes us feel worse. THe juice will help! Keep on posting and letting us know how you are, ok? Take care and we'll look forward to seeing you as a non-smoking EX tomorrow!! WAHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO for YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!
0 Kudos
gin

I think you just hit home! I am afraid of failure! I quit for FOUR years until i got divorced and I used my divorce as an excuse to smoke. That was 2 years ago and I can't use that excuse anymore! Now I am scared that I can't get to that status again! I'm scared to tell people that I failed! I'm home alone half the time and scared that I'm going to hide smoking from everyone else when I am alone!
0 Kudos
gin

Smoking is the easy way out...I don't want that...I want what is BETTER for me. I want to be able to breathe and LIVE. I NEED to do this! Thanks for your support! I'm still scared but I'm jumping in!!!
0 Kudos

Man that is the whole deal for me. I was full of fear. Fear of who i was without cigarettes. Fear of how i would do anything without them. They defined me for so long and it is scary as hell to imagine life without them. I totally understand. You have to be 100% committed to quit. I would tell myself many that i was done being a smoker. That part of my life was over. and no matter what i wouldn't smoke. no matter how bad it got. I wouldn't pick one up. Ever. And it has gotten alot easier. 38 Days or so and i don't want to smoke anymore. I think about it often but the mental obsession is gone. Good luck and you can do it.

The only way to walk through our fears is to walk through them afraid.

Chris
0 Kudos
miguel

hi gin, we were all scared, when we first decided to quit, it`s them freakin nicodemons in ur head, what u feed grows, what u starve dies, kill the bastards, lets get quitting, and take it one moment at a timethere`s alot of people here that`ll support u every step of the way stay strong, good luck see u on the other side, gimme a shout! Photobucket
0 Kudos
manofsteele

Hey Gin....

Super advice given already ... I tend to agree closely to Connie on this. My positive attitude and something smelly under my nose helped overcome the fear of failure from multiple previous attempts.

I do not know many people that die from quitting but I watched my friend Randal die from smoking until he got the word he had lung cancer and less than 6 months to live.

I Would Be More F***ing Scared Not To Quit !

After 4 years + of smoke free living I have some posts and video here on EX that might help with your quit attitude and might give you an even better chance for success for a long lasting smoke free life.

I pledged daily, not to smoke in front of a group of like minded people, I read words of wisdom, I learned by tough luv that all excuses are lame to ever take another puff, I found quit buddies that understood what we were going through, some of us played word games to pass time or to laugh or to try to make someone else laugh and some just decided it was easiest to just give thanks and praise to help solve the troubling times in our life..

The good news is that you can do the same and your smoke free hours can add up to days, weeks, months then years and any crap you had to put up with to quit will be well worth the results of a smoke free life.

I find people with the proper attitude of concentrating more about where you are going to instead of what you are going through will have a much easier time of quitting.

Don't be afraid to be the best you can be Gin !
0 Kudos