cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

free2be2

back after almost 3 years...

Hi everyone!

Here I am again . It's been almost 3 years free of smoking. My quit date was 08/25/14. 

Being totally confident that I was never going to pick up that cigarette again. I was doing so well.

I started slowly.. having 1 cigarette maybe once a week socially, then 2 or 3 . After a month or so it steadily progressed to the same amount I was smoking before I quit, 10-15 cigs a day.. It's been almost 3 months now that I am back to the habit I don't like. Mad at myself.. I can't believe it I am doing it to myself again. At least now I know where to go and what to do.

Hoping that I can do it again and be smarter next time.. I have hope, but I know it's not going to be easy. 

Grateful for this place with so much support and information, going to dig all info that helped me last time. Picking up the date again.. July 1st really spoke to me, Don't want to prolong this agony .. 

Any advice and support would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

47 Replies
free2be2

Yes you're right! Somehow my anger and revulsion towards cigarettes slipped to a very neutral place over time . I forgot how bad I felt before I quit. I didn't have smokers around me for a long time to remind me of that. 

Christine13

Thanks for coming back.  I'm really glad you're here and have set a new quit date.

I am early in my quit and it helps to know that even after almost three years I will have to stay on top of things.

I love this site and all the wonderful people here.

free2be2

Thank you for your warm welcome! 

Lesson learned. Back to re-educating myself. Appreciate all the support here 

0 Kudos
maryfreecig

I had a mighty fine quit when I was 25, but when I sobered up 2.5 years later I did not walk, I ran back to tobacco. At the age of 54 I came back around to seriously quitting. And so I am still free today. In between the age 25 quit and age 54 quit, I quit in a fool hardy way for a job and that quit did not last too long. In 2009, I quit for about 9 hours (that still makes me chuckle). Today I feel grateful that I found another quit in me in 2013--eternal vigilance is my watch word. Most quitters could say they tried a few times before solidly quitting. So you are here, shared your story....thanks for that. Don't worry about making a new beginning, it's all for the best.

free2be2

thank you for sharing part of your story. I feel lifted by all your warm welcome and support. I really need it right now

0 Kudos
Ready2021

Welcome back Im a newbie but Im glad your back its just my second week again Welcome back you will be fine as before

free2be2

thank you! And stay strong! You got this! I really enjoyed being non-smoker, specially the 1st Year . Then I slowly started taking it for granted  .    It was a mistake 

0 Kudos
Daniela2016

Welcome back free2be2‌, and thank for the lesson; we have to be here constantly, someone else said it before me.  This place, this wonderful group of people are our reminders we can't let the guard down, not for one, ever again.

May your experience teach us all to cherish our quit, and keep it close to our heart, and mind. 

Get yourself ready, you know how to do it, thank you for coming back to speak with us; you are here for us, we'll be here for you!

free2be2

thank you! And I agree, can't let your guard down. So good to know that I'm not alone in this. Grateful that you are here for me!

0 Kudos
free2be2

just wanted to thank everyone here for such a warm welcome, compassion and support. I feel empowered and uplifted. 

Makes me feel more confident that I can do it again. Started reading and educating myself again. I'm glad I still have all reading that helped me last time on my kindle. Trying to be gentle with myself... Still,  disappointment is very real.