Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Write your Goodbye Letter to _________.

Writing a Goodbye Letter to cigarettes, chewing tobacco, vaping is a common theme here on EX. You can read other's letters for inspiration or read a blog from Dr. Hays on how to go about it.

If you haven't written your own and you're starting the quit process, you should probably think about making your own. But you probably want to first read others' letters before you write your own.

Ready to get started? you'll need to be a member of the community so be sure you login and then you can click the link to start your own Goodbye Letter .  Be sure you tag the post with "Goodbye Letter" so yours get added to the list

Did you write your letter from a template? If you feel you have a particularly compelling one, share a link to it below in the comments, or share your actual goodbye letter here on EX with a link in the comments.

While you're at it, you'll probably also want to write a letter to loved ones as well to ensure you get support and understanding at home while you go through your quit journey to support a successful quit.

EX Community Admin Team
Labels (1)
81 Replies

Goodbye cigs

Your my best friend. 

I'll love you like the paradox you are.

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

@billylbell1988 Welcome to the Ex and congrats on you upcoming quit.  Saying good-bye to your "best friend" is a great way to begin your journey.  Many have described quitting as losing a best friend.  After all, cigarettes have been through everything with us, good or bad.  At some point, you'll look back and realize you didn't lose anything, but began a new way of living.

Consider posting to My Journal/Blog to introduce yourself to the group and receive some well deserved support.

Look forward to celebrating with you on the 13th.

Stay busy and stay close.

Barb

0 Kudos
jwmelton091

You have been in my life for years now. You was only a crutch. I turned to you when I was stressed upset and emotional. Now it is time to part ways goodbye dip

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

@jwmelton091  Great good-bye letter to get you started on your journey. 

Educate yourself about nicotine addiction and create a quit plan.  Many have found success with knowledge and preparation.   It took me 50 years and many attempts to finally get it. I went into my quits blindly and was never successful.  In addition to some aids, I found the Ex a week prior to my quit.  For the first time I learned how to quit and had the support that was always lacking.

This link is a great place to start.

https://www.becomeanex.org/guides/?cid=footer_community_linktobex

Make the commitment and you can do this too.  We're here to support you on your journey.  So reach out anytime you need help, want to share your experience or to support fellow quitters. We're all in this together.

Join many  of us on the Daily Pledge.  It's a great way to stay on track on day at a time.

Look forward to celebrating in the 15th. 

Barb

0 Kudos
nicoleerd

I don't know why I started, perhaps it was because I was bored. Now I feel that this addiction is out of control, to fill a void only the Lord can fill. We're all looking for something to fill ourselves, we are empty cups in need of love, we don't need to look for it in a potion or pill, the body is a temple, holy and already whole. All we need is Jesus and to open up the Book. It contains answers to relieve the stress, if only we're willing to look. So in closing, take care of yourself, you only get one body, we don't need to waste it, were strong, fight temptation!!

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

@nicoleerd Welcome to the Ex and your first day won.

Consider creating your own post and post to My Journal/Blog to introduce yourself to the community and receive lots of support.

Barb

paigeamore

I quit 30 days ago. Today i say good bye to the struggle of the last month,today is easier. I say goodbye to the moments lost with family because i had to step out by myself to smoke. I say goodbye to being the one who smells like cigarettes in a school or office setting

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

@paigeamore That's great.  Congrats on 30 days of success.    I'm glad you found us.  There is lots of support here if you need it and saying good-bye can be a positive affirmation to be successful.

There's lots of great information here to help you maintain your quit.  Have you read about No Man's Land?   No Mans Land Days 30 to 130 (approximate) - EX Community

Happy to see you're taking the Daily Pledge.

Barb

0 Kudos
Mrsb2017

This has to ve one of the hardest things I have ever done.  

Goodbye old friend,

You have been with me for over 40 years.  Through good and bad, happy and sad.  You have calmed my nerves, relaxed me, calmed down my anger and frustration every time I needed you.  I feel lost woth out you but laying in a hospital bed with broken ribs thinking about the pain I was in, I decided that nothing in the world was worth that kind of pain and I feel you would eventually cause me that kind of pain     sooo. I have to let you go, say goodbye and find the new me.  57 days later

I feel like I have lost my best friend , I dont know how to cope but I will because you are not good for me.  I have allowed you to rob my and my family of so much but no more. So good by old friend. Good riddance!

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

@Mrsb2017 Welcome to the Ex .  Great good-bye letter for your journey.  Congrats on 57 days quit? Congratulations--that's amazing. 

Anxiety about quitting is normal. Many describe it as losing their best friend, We've smoked our way through every event and emotion, so it's only normal that were apprehensive. Approaching your quit one day at a time can help to alleviate the fear. Don't think about forever right now. You'll see those one days will turn into multiple days.

And you just found an amazing group of quitters the are here to support you on this journey to becoming an Ex. There will be ups and downs, but that is part of the journey. We're here for you, so just reach out anytime we can help or want to share your experience.

This link is a great place to help maintain your quit.

https://www.becomeanex.org/guides/?cid=footer_community_linktobex

We're here for you, so reach out anytime we can help. Happy to see you on  the Daily Pledge to stay on track one day at a time.

You might find this helpful.  It was for many of us.

No Mans Land Days 30 to 130 (approximate) - EX Community

Whatever you do, don't smoke.  Reach out first. That's what we're here for. It works!!!!

Stay busy and stay close

Barb 

0 Kudos