cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

belverlynd

What can i do to decrease withdrawal symptoms.

I have sinus problems, and a headache. I have not smoked since sunday around 6 pm. I have 2 ml zonnic gum, but have only used about 4 pieces.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
16 Replies
JACKIE1-25-15

I thought of every withdrawal as my body "cleansing" itself.  I turned it into something good instead of bad.  Mind over matter. 

Tyme.2.Kwit

I want to try that mind over thing, with thinking of every craving as my body cleansing itself... but I think I am going to use the patch... but when I'm done with that.. definitely going to use that mind over matter thing!!

TerrieQuit

Whatever works for you as long as you're not smoking, you are quit! Do whatever it takes not to smoke. Stay busy! Try taking the daily pledge! It helps! https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/community/celebrations-events/blog/2017/02/01/the-daily-pledge-fe...  Pledging strengthens our commitment and helps many of us stay strong. When a crave hits you can think about who has your hand, you can't smoke with some buddy on each side of you! Is your quit day still Feb. 10? ~Terrie~

0 Kudos
MarilynH

I found for me in the first few weeks of my quit that keeping my mind as well as my hands occupied helped plus I drank lots of water and I still do and I kept a bag of sugar free mints around in case of a bad crave. N. O.P. E.  Not One Puff Ever will give you a a life of Freedom....

0 Kudos
Mandolinrain

For me it was as simple as Vicks Vapor Rub. Don't know why, but smelling it made the desire to smoke fade quickly. Also getting busy. Sometimes I was to over frustrated to read so I had to get my hands busy. Put on the Vicks and I was off to the races cleaning out a closet or drawer or shelf....whatever. Most important is to become educated as to why you crave. ice you understand that concept, it will become much easier for you. Good Luck! And good job coming here to ask for help!

Thats_it

Sleep as much as you can. You are quitting and doing a great thing for you.

0 Kudos
bonniebee

Drink lots of fluids but avoid  sugary or diet soda's as much as possible  things like ice water ,sparkling water, Green tea ( really great for the immune system too )  

What helped me a lot was deep breathing....... very slowly 3 times in through nose and out through your mouth totally exhaling all air then on the last exhale totally relax all the muscles in your body . 

Another thing  I did during the first 2 weeks was self hypnosis I went to it on YouTube I don't know if it works or is psycological but for me it really relaxed me and I felt like it helped me with the withdrawal symptoms . I did this before bedtime .

Cutting straws in thirds and using them to breathe through ,chew on  or just handle helped me with the hand to mouth habit .

In the first few weeks even months come here and blog everyday even if just how your day went  it really helps because you get much advice and support from all the Ex'ers . One whole box  of straws at Walmart  is only a dollar  and sooooooo worth it !

The last thing I am thinking of is taking a walk it boosts your metabolism which slows down from quitting speeding it up so even at rest one  burns more calories then if one  did not exercise . It also increases the  dopamine released  in the brain which  helps one  to feel good . 

Stay Strong and Carry on !ex quit 6.jpg