cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

kev2

Still adjusting...

Ok...so I'm on my whatever'th day of not smoking. I stopped keeping track because its easier to not think about smoking this way. Anyways...I'm still not used to being a non-smoker. Before I quit anytime i was outside talking with friends it was easy to stand there and smoke. Now I find myself standing there like a goon not knowing what to do or how to act. I often find myself watching "non-smokers" to see how they act. Kinda like Merlin Olson from Wild Kingdom except i'm not hiding in a bush so the tiger wont attack me. By observing the habits of the elusive non-smoker I've discovered that folding your arms or having your hands in your pockets is acceptable when standing beside fellow co-workers or friends. Although I have to admit that swinging your arms from side to side is much more enjoyable.

Long story short....I dont know what to do with my hands. Here is a video that kinda describes what I'm going through. Enjoy!

Kev

Talladega Nights - "I'm Not Sure What To Do With My Hands"
0 Kudos
16 Replies
lizzo

Ah, the rare, North American non-smoker in its natural habitat. By observing, we shall learn its social habits and how it behaves when it is alone. Would it be wrong to catch one and bring it home to observe for awhile?

Kevin you are too funny!
0 Kudos
lizzo

I keep suckers handy in my pockets and smack noisily on them.. take them out of my mouth to inspect them, shove them back in, gesture with them... I am a rude sucker-sucker. 🙂 I do not advise this on the phone, I have hit redial may times with my fat, sucker-filled cheek while talking.
0 Kudos
kev2

I thought about taking up juggling, but that might more of a distraction than anything.
0 Kudos
sherri10

Hey Kevin,

I've experienced that problem with other things as well. I had to figure out what to with my hands when I was no longer carrying a backpack or a purse all the time. For me personally, I've found that if I can just keep my hands off of the person I'm talking to that I'm doing pretty good!
0 Kudos
cindy25

Actually, picking your nose would be a distraction. Unless you are good at it (juggling that is) - juggling might be dangerous around cigarettes! You might set your co-workers on fire.
0 Kudos
cindy25

Actually, picking your nose would be a distraction. Unless you are good at it (juggling that is) - juggling might be dangerous around cigarettes! You might set your co-workers on fire.
0 Kudos
jen-x

I've felt quite awkward with my hands. They don't float up, but I'm not keen with on the hips, nor with them folded when I feel "into" the conversation. I've tried to take note when I'm talking to people in a non-smoking environment and now I'm unsure all the time. What did I do? Sorry can't help, but I totally understand.
0 Kudos
lizzo

Get some keychain size games and play with them... I have a Tamagotchi.. .. or small puzzles you can fish out of your pocket and toy with while talking...
0 Kudos
ashley28

You know, all of these ideas are wonderful, but I think you should carry around a little notebook and write down everything everyone says... wait no... that would make you really creepy...

Maybe you should jump rope... EVERYWHERE! lots of exercise... then again i am picturing you in a suit and tie with a jump rope outside the front of the office building, and that is just entertaining for me, not so much for you.

You have gotten most of the good ideas i had, as far as the straw and the cloves, so my ideas were shot before this post was up. I just felt the need to add on...

and the floating hands, yes... thank you Ricky Bobby, because that is SO me....
0 Kudos