cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

jaynalynn

Reset Quit Clock?

I have heard a lot of people here say they have slipped and had to start all over and reset their quit clock.  So what consitutes a relapse in your book?  Is it a puff, a cigarette, is it smoking for 1 day, a whole pack, a weekend, a week, a month......I'm just curious what other people consider a relapse.  Do you hold yourself to the same timeframe if you have not smoked for a week vs. 10 years?

Last updated 7 hours ago by Jaynalynn

I have been completely  smoke free for 3 days now. If i subtract the one ciggerette that i smoked friday night it has be 5 days. But  I don't think that does me any justice. I would have to say that any nicotine in your systems would be a relapse. At the end of the day its the reasons we quit that really matters. 

Stay strong

Digitalcheffe 6 hours ago

I'm with the above.  Sneaking a drag or smoking a whole cigarette - or whole day or pack - bottom line is, you smoked!  It's time to be honest with ourselves.   We can sneak around and hide our smoking from our spouse, our parents, our coworkers - but dang if we can hide it from ourselves.  You KNOW it's going to taste bad.  You KNOW it's going to smell bad.  You KNOW how hard the first few days are.  Is it worth it?  Then it's worth resetting your quit clock.

Just my opinion - more reinforcement for myself than anything!

Sunbow 6 hours ago

Delete

0 Kudos
190 Replies
patty56

For me,  one puff equals 1 pack.  i wish I could just have one.  For me one is to many and a thousand is never enough.  Listen to me talking  my quit date isn't till next week. Aug 17 2011.  I want ths so bad

0 Kudos
bender7997

I think the important thing is what you do after the slip that hopefully doesn't happen in the first place. Don't beat yourself up or think "I might as well start smoking again."  N-ot O-ne P-uff E-ver!

0 Kudos
hecate50s

Once you put that cigarette in your mouth and lit it, you've relapsed.

0 Kudos
simrho

10 days.

0 Kudos
simrho

beware of the guilt.  it works against you also.

0 Kudos
reneemoon

well I was suppose to quit yesterday.  Well, that didn't work.  I went through six hours of hell.  Really bad emotional withdrawl and then I slipped up, and had 5 more.  I am now quitting today.  I know more what to expect.  I really didn't think it was going to be that intense. Today is my day.

0 Kudos
bean5

I agree with many others, ONE PUFF and you reset.  If I could just have a puff and not reset my clock, I can HONESTLY tell you that I WOULD have had a puff by now.  Which would have led to another puff here and there.  The clock is what has kept me smoke-free.  However, if I puffed and didn't reset, I feel that my clock would be a lie.  I don't know, I think the clock is what keeps so many of us on track.  Isn't that the idea?  To never smoke again, not to cheat and it be okay.  We are only cheating ourselves in the end anyway.

0 Kudos
slbest24

Love reading everyone's posts..Today is day 3 and for some reason I am struggling more today than day 1 or day 2. But KNOW I CAN NOT pick up or it will be the end for me. And I HAVE to do it this time 🙂 Thanks 🙂

0 Kudos
slbest24

Love reading everyone's posts..Today is day 3 and for some reason I am struggling more today than day 1 or day 2. But KNOW I CAN NOT pick up or it will be the end for me. And I HAVE to do it this time 🙂 Thanks 🙂

0 Kudos
donna30

i had 497 days and smoked one and reset my clock and this week i had 311 days and just reset my clock. you are either smoking or not - there's no inbetween! justifying one puff leads to another and another then it becomes 1 day or a week. and the only one it hurts is you. i came clean to all my friends at fb who i met here and it was tough but i had to do it because if i didn't then i know how the addict mind works! it would become well it wasn't a relapse it was only one puff, it was ONLY one week, ONLY one month! i smoked and that's that. my clock starts over when i start over which will probably be tomorrow. if we can't be honest we won't succeed. i had a stroke at 58 yrs old because of smoking and it ruined my life for 3 yrs and now my built in forgetter was telling me i could get away with smoking when i had several bad things happen in the past two weeks and used it as a crutch rather than using other skills so i start my clock over!

0 Kudos