cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

jaynalynn

Reset Quit Clock?

I have heard a lot of people here say they have slipped and had to start all over and reset their quit clock.  So what consitutes a relapse in your book?  Is it a puff, a cigarette, is it smoking for 1 day, a whole pack, a weekend, a week, a month......I'm just curious what other people consider a relapse.  Do you hold yourself to the same timeframe if you have not smoked for a week vs. 10 years?

Last updated 7 hours ago by Jaynalynn

I have been completely  smoke free for 3 days now. If i subtract the one ciggerette that i smoked friday night it has be 5 days. But  I don't think that does me any justice. I would have to say that any nicotine in your systems would be a relapse. At the end of the day its the reasons we quit that really matters. 

Stay strong

Digitalcheffe 6 hours ago

I'm with the above.  Sneaking a drag or smoking a whole cigarette - or whole day or pack - bottom line is, you smoked!  It's time to be honest with ourselves.   We can sneak around and hide our smoking from our spouse, our parents, our coworkers - but dang if we can hide it from ourselves.  You KNOW it's going to taste bad.  You KNOW it's going to smell bad.  You KNOW how hard the first few days are.  Is it worth it?  Then it's worth resetting your quit clock.

Just my opinion - more reinforcement for myself than anything!

Sunbow 6 hours ago

Delete

0 Kudos
190 Replies
cheerup01

You know it in your heart... if you truly want to quit then even one tiny little puff constitutes a "quit clock reset" in my book... back to the drawing board it is for me. 14 HOURS NICOTINE FREE and counting

0 Kudos
nagual

Well, I lapsed on my second day - today - and have resolvewd to start on stop smoking aids like gum/lozenges. Rather stupid of me to try and do it "all by myself" - no such thing - should do better with them aids...

0 Kudos
s-rangarajan

Is Quitting just quitting smoking????? Or quitting nicotine altogether??? I am planning to quit smoking from new year but am going to be on nicotine substitute for sometime....Does that amount to quitting or no????Because then, even though I am not smoking I will have nicotine in my system for few days.....any comments.

0 Kudos
janie5

Just one puff is reset the clock in my book! 

Yep, I'm a reformed SMOKER now SMOKE FREE for over a year and a half.  I have NOT TOUCH a cigarette or a pack of cigarettes.  Still afraid to touch..I might want!  OH CHIT!  It is just a quick thought but strange that it is still there.  Thank goodness the craving isn't there anymore.  CHANTIX did the trick for me and I'm forever greatful.  HOLLER if you want some words of encouragement for quitting.....I smoked for over 40 years so I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE FEELING. 

0 Kudos
lois2

how do i reset my clock, can any one help,

0 Kudos
k-tague

OK, I hate to split hairs but here is another aspect to consider.  Last January my resolution was to quit by the end of the year.  My job makes me travel quite a bit and on the first trip of the New Year I spotted an add for the e-cigs.  Researched it on line and decided to give it a try.  On January 21st was my first day in 40 years with out a "real cig".  I still got nicotine from the electronic cigarette but was not technically smoking.  After a couple of weeks I didn't care about the real ones any more but was having fun with people’s reaction to the e-cig.  After a month I was like "what are you even doing this for" and put that down.  I will celebrate one year smoke free on the 21st of this month.  Even when I used the e-cig for several weeks after that.  I believe the important thing is that we drop the smokes!  Not how, why, when, who for, or any other aspect.  In that way of thinking one puff and you are no longer a non smoker, but any use of ANY thing that keeps you away from the real thing is success.

0 Kudos
erikas-momma

Okay, I went  36 hours with no cigarettes, hellacious withdrawals, and what did I do? Had a relapse-have smoked 8 cigarettes in 3 days......now I have to start all over....hope the withdrawls aren't as bad this time!

0 Kudos
cheryl56

I resolved to quit on 1/1/10 and have had many urges but did not give in until this morning...I had 1 cigarette and feel terrible. I am using Chantix and it helps tremendously but I for some stupid reason smoked. I have smoked for 34 years and am determined to stop..I slipped...I will not fail

0 Kudos
DOCmarkC

Smoking is an addiction to nicotine.  You are conditioned to "Enjoy" smoking because it deliveres nicotine to the body and satisfies the witdrawl cravings. 

SIMPLE.

Otherwise you could smoke corn silk and "Enjoy" that.  Think of the thousands who are hooked on Chewing tobacco, cigars, and even nicotine gum.  It is for the nicotine.

SIMPLE.

If you are providing your withdrawl symptoms with ANY nicotine

Let me say it clearly ANY NICOTINE

Then you have NOT quit. and you are making your witdrawl take longer and spending more time convincing yourself that you need the nicotine in order to be right.

72 hours and you have no more physical withdrawls because the nicotine is gone.  after that it is literaly a long-term habit where we desire one when we get associative triggers.  We have trained and conditioned ourselves like the Pavlovian dogs!

SIT!  Now have a smoke.  STAY!  now have a smoke...  Good Fido.

No wonder we want one.  we have used them as rewards for years. 

Stop lying to yourself.  To quit is SIMPLE.

Don't smoke.

0 Kudos
ria

what is going to happen after no cigs, do you cough a lot. do you feel ill. what sghould i expect

0 Kudos