cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

siaweems

Quit smoking

I quit smoking recently on Monday. And I more than anything just want to go buy a pack. 

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

@siaweems Glad you're here posting -- we are all here to support you! 

I'm sure many others will weigh in with what works for them when they feel those urges to go buy a pack. This article on EX may also get you thinking about different ideas for getting through tough moments: https://www.becomeanex.org/ex-resources/about-quitting/stay-quit/how-do-i-handle-my-smoking-cravings... 

- Megan, EX Team

EX Community Admin Team
Barbscloud

@siaweems Welcome to the Ex and congrats on day 3.   Don't do it. We've all been there.  It's the addiction talking, 

You can win that internal battle by educating yourself about nicotine addiction and putting a plan in place with how you'll deal with cravings, identifying your triggers and creating the new associations you'll create instead of smoking. This comes into play when you're having cravings in the morning. What can you do instead of smoking? Change up your routine. Go for walk, read material on the Ex, if you drink coffee, for example, drink it in a different place, etc. Be creative.

And you just found an amazing group of quitters here to support you on this journey to becoming an Ex. There will be ups and downs, but that is part of the journey. We're here for you, so just reach out anytime we can help or want to share your experience.

This link is a great place to get you started on the right track. https://www.becomeanex.org/guides/?cid=footer_community_linktobex

Join many of us on the Daily Pledge to stay on track one day at a time.

Now that you posted, there will be expert quitters here to help you.

Stay busy and stay close.

Barb

Anonymous
Not applicable

Don’t give in , the way out of this is through . Be through with addiction , starve it , don’t feed it .  Good job posting . Try to remember these things are temporary and trust us when we say that . Yes it is very uncomfortable , your gut wants you to smoke but your thoughts are all over the place , it’s normal , it will pass , go pledge and keep the promise .  Are you familiar with the pledge page ? 

siaweems

Guys I slipped. I am trying but today I got accused of cheating at school when I honor myself in not cheating and was insulted and full of rage so I just drove and got a pack. I didn't want to do to it. But I was seriously offended on top of the stress of quitting and now I'm ashamed and have to start all over again. The reason it offended me so much is because so many students cheat right in front of the instructor and I actually do all my work and I got accused of it. 

biscuit9

@siaweems   I hope that you learned from this.  Smoking will not make the accusations made against you go away.  Smoking will not change the fact that you are still upset.  Nicotine is an addiction and all addictions will INSIST that you NEEEEEEEEEEED it.  You don't need it, you never did.  That is the lie that all nic addicts believe.  None of our circumstances change when we smoke....we are still in the same situation as before.   What smokers have after smoking, is an addiction that is harmful if not downright lethal.  You do NOT have to let that moment define you.  You can choose to stop now.  I hope you do.  It takes alot of strength to climb right back "on that horse" after you fall, but it has been done.  You can change this course.  I hope you dig down and find that strength.  I hope with all my heart, that you can prove that you did not cheat. Either way, a cig is not gonna change anything.  Nonsmokers deal with life everyday on life's terms, smokers just forget how to do that.  All the best.

0 Kudos
siaweems

Yes thank you for that ! 

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

@siaweems that sounds like a really tough situation you were in- proud of you for coming on here and getting support with this! Here's a page on the EX site you may want to review: https://www.becomeanex.org/ex-resources/about-quitting/stay-quit/how-to-recover-from-a-slip-or-relap...

Keep us posted on how you're doing and I hope those who wrongly accused you will come to know the truth! 

~Margaret, EX Community Admin Team

EX Community Admin Team
Barbscloud

@siaweems Sorry to hear you were accused of something unfairly.  I know that is something I would take very personally.   In the moment, we think smoking will fix something.  If you learned that's not true, then it's a lesson well learned.

Nothing to be ashamed about. Quitting is a process and can take some time to get it right. It took 50 years.   Get right back on track and don't dwell on the past.  It's what in your future that's important.

Remember to reach out before you smoke, not after.  It can be just enough time for your supporters to help you stay on track.  I worked for me a number of times.

Stay busy and stay close.

Barb