cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Yaya2.6.10

Parents of 20 Somethings

I Love this concept.  Whenever I get totally stressed by one of them, I just am grateful that they don't live with me and are 500 miles away. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
44 Replies
marie23

My Grandson is really doing great. No worries there. He has been in this home with me since he came home form the hospital 2 days old. He has a  strong bond with me more like a Mom that a grandma so he is OK. My daughter is young and he loves him Mom but it is a different relationship. I hope I am wrong and she is doing better but I know her counselor is worried too. I pray that this is a false alarm at the same time trying to prepare for an ugly possibility. Thanks Dawn

0 Kudos
lois2

Marie i will pray for you and your daughter, things will be fine, turn it over to GOD, try to be strong we know smoking want help.  hi DAWN oh sheri i like to drive down the country roads, with my grown son and daughtyin law, go to the swiming hole check out old house places,  look for crystals, don't camp much any more, , i like to go play slots with my other son and wife, good night all

0 Kudos
marie23

Well everything seems to be OK so I am thanking the Lord. Let us all continue to pray for all troubled children everywhere. May the good Lord help them find their way. And as Dawn reminds us let us not forget to count our many blessings and joys also. Amen

0 Kudos
pam-c

why is it that I can spend 10 beautiful, wonderful days with my eldest 26 yr old daughter only to want to wring her neck the next time she visits (2 days after our vacation together).  All that was wonderful and intimate between daughter and mom was gone in a heart beat.  It was the "Mom, don't say that... geez, why are you doing that, saying that mom?"   Will any one fault me if I dump her in a ditch far from home?   She has been for sale for a while but no takers.... I think I should just cut my losses and admit my short comings.  I tried, really I did.  I believe I was the same person on vacation as at home but clearly my child sees 2 different people.  One that was fun to be around and one that is embarrassing to be around.

Can I just neglect them for a while?

0 Kudos
pam-c

- Oh, did I forget to mention that the mom on vacation paid for most of what was fun?  Do u think that may have had anything to do with how I was perceived?

0 Kudos
marie23

Whatever happened to gratitude? With so many in this generation. I so feel your frustration Pam Sometimes it is just like you are a walking breathing ATM as long as the dollars are flowing you are the best. But heaven forbid you do not live up to their perfect expectatons of who you should be. I wonder what they might see if they took a personal inventory inside themselves. I am thinking they would not like what they see very much at all. But good news is I have 3 kids and 2 out of 3 are wonderful so I am lucky and blessed. and more good news inspite of it all we are still smoke free.  Thank the Lord.

0 Kudos
dawn37

Hello everyone...I have been avoiding this site almost since I created this group.  I know sounds nuts doesn't it? We are supposed to be here for support & encouragement & to be able to complain about our super wonderful adult children. (Sarcasm if you couldn't hear it) This is why we are here in this group right?

Well, honestly... I went through a really rough patch after I started posting & reading all of the other posts. Am I going to have to deal with my problem adult child like this for the rest of my life?  I can't imagine doing this for yet another 20 years...but it seems it might happen...I should know...my mother is STILL dealing with my adult problem brother...he is now 42 years old! Give me a break! WELL all of you helped me make a very tough decision in the last couple of weeks.  I will NOT make my children's problems mine anymore!! I WILL NOT DO IT ANYMORE!!!

I am so sick of feeling sick to my stomach about them...my anxiety is off the charts...or should I say it WAS off the charts just a short while ago...it stopped when I made up my mind to live my life for me... and not for my kids...they are adults now...they will make their own decisions & there is NOTHING I can do to change that... absolutely nothing... and since I can not make their decisions for them anymore...they will have to live with the consequences from now on & not have me there worrying for them anymore. I know this will not be easy...but I am going to work hard to feel better about all this...just as hard as I have with my quit!!!!!!!!!!!

It is  NOT my problem & I have to protect my health, my heart & my quit.... ADULT CHILDREN....I will always be there for you...but you will have to be first in line from now on!!! I love you...my children... I do...I still love you!!

0 Kudos
Yaya2.6.10

Dawn, you have made the right decision.  25 years ago I was therapy for co-dependency and learned that I had to protect myself by controlling my reaction to other people.  I had to not try to change them - only my reaction to them.  I'm here to tell you that is easier said than done when you are a Mom and you will be more successful some times than others.  Hugs to you.

0 Kudos
dawn37

yaya...thanks so much for letting me know this. I really do know it is the right thing to do. My husband has confirmed this as well. So have a few friends but they have never gone through/done what I am doing so it is hard for them to say it IS the right thing to do... I really appreciate  your input...really. Thank you!

This has to be a good thing. My anxiety is SO much better. I almost feel weird not having it as severe as it was but at the same time...because I DO feel so much better, I keep thinking that this will end & I will go back to feeling terrible again. That is still my anxiety...hopefully I will get over that as well.

But to keep up with the 20something bashing....I took a trip a few months ago to see my Dad in Arkansas. On my way home, I met a young man, leaving for Afghanistan. He said he was very nervous & scared & it really tugged at those heart strings to know this young guy was risking his life for us. SO, I told him if he gave me his contact info I would send a  package of stuff when he got settled; so he sent me a list of things he & his buddy could use.

Well, to make a very long story really short, I couldn't send the dirty magazines..he copped an attitude and didn't even let me know he received the $100+ worth of stuff I had sent!!  I HAD to contact him to see if he ever got the package & he said "oh yeah...I forgot to thank you..we liked everything expect the peanuts!!!!!!" The nerve of this little twit!! I am telling you the ungrateful little turd! Well, I won't send him anything anymore...my friend has a nephew that just left so I will send him stuff instead!! I am sure he will appreciate whatever I send.  Am I wrong for feeling like crap about this whole thing or what? This kid is risking his life over there and I am angry at him... I am horrible aren't I?

0 Kudos
marie23

Dawn, I would say this. You did the right thing, the best that you could Now just let it go. Like yaya said we can not control other people all we can LEARN to do is control our reaction to them. You are doing awesome with this concept just apply it here also.  Anxiety just sucks, I really hate it.  Be at peace and go about your happy, healthy, smoke free life.   Peace and blessing to you.   Hey you know the old addage.  "No good deed goes unpunsihed"!   I hate to believe this but sometimes I just can help believing that it is true.    Now I am moving forward and determined to keep a smile on my face no matter what. I just hope today no one feels like it is neccesary to knock my half full glass of water over.!!!!   hahahah

0 Kudos