cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

edith2

One is the lonliest number........

This is a copy of a message I received from Corina. I love it! I can relate to this so much! I drive cab and once in awhile when I'm picking up garbage and change that has fallen under the seat(one time I found $50!!), I have found a cigarette. I still get a fleeting thought of lighting up and then quickly discard it. I love this message that Corina wrote!

"I've been doing great on my quit. Very few temptations, far easier than I thought it would be even during some tough times at work and in my personal life, and proud of myself for steadily pressing forward, then........ BOOM!!!!!!!!!!! THE MONSTER, THE CANCER STICK, THE STINKY BEAST, THE MONEY BURNER, THE CREEPY COUGH MAKER, THE TIME WASTER........... "IT" snuck up on me!

Saturday was a beautiful day. It was my 6 week anniversary of my quit. I bought a new desk for my home office and it was delivered. And while making room for it I started cleaning, and cleaning, and cleaning until, before I knew it, I was in the motions of a deep spring clean. My house was looking GREAT!!!!!!!!! Then, it happened. I found "IT". A lonely Marlboro. The last one in a pack long forgotten in the back of a drawer.

Carefully and gently I took it out of its nest and looked closely at it. It was still perfectly formed. I gently set it down on the coffee table and sat back. I looked at it from the left, then from the right. Afraid to disturb it in case it decided to roll away. I thought about how sad it must be to be so lonely, and how it was begging me to pick it up and make it part of me. I could smoke it and NO ONE would know that I did. I didn't HAVE to tell anyone I did. It didn't mean I'd have another one, and another one, and another one. After all, it was JUST ONE. Just ONE lonely cigarette. The psychological battle felt like it went on for at least a half hour, but when I looked up at the clock, only two minutes had gone by. I didn't know how much longer I could last....

SO, I tore it up into 4 pieces (so it wouldn't be lonely any more) and threw it in the garbage.

PHEW! That was a dangerous one!!!!!! I barely escaped that trap, but man oh man it felt so good to WIN! 45 days today, and STILL smoke free.

Moral of the story. Never let your guard down, it's a sneaky habit that loves to creep up on you and catch you unaware, and unprepared."

Be Prepared Pictures, Images and Photos
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
terry12

I loved it too. It reminded me of the last time I found one and had such an experience. I messed up and smoked it. But I did learn from that. I got right back up and it has now been a month. No more. Thank all of you for the help.
0 Kudos
andrew3

Good job and It is great you got right back up I really hope I do not have any more temptations like that! I had one after day four of quitting smoking. It was in my car. I threw it out, but it also had some really weird stuff on it, so that is probably why I didn't dive into it!
0 Kudos
sue-otts

Yes, I remember this too. It was 2 weeks ago and my hubby had just told me that he was too afraid to quit. We were planning on our vacation as a reward to BOTH of us quitting smoking. So now I had a decison to make, either I could continue in my quit or go back to smoking with my hubby until he could decide when was a good time for us to quit again. I even went so far into letting him leave 1/2 pack of my brand of cigs for me at work (we work together) so I could smoke one on the way home. I had put one in my mouth and was walking around the office looking for a lighter when all of a sudden I stopped and asked myself what in the world are you doing? I took that thing out of my mouth and tore it into pieces and put it into the garbage can as fast as I could. However, I still had to drive home with the 1/2 pack of cigs to give them back to my hubby.

You know what I did that and never again have thought about lighting up. Amazing!
0 Kudos
vanessa3

I had a incident like that the other day.I moved the trash can to sweep behind it and under it and there was a half a cigarette that had fallen out of the trash can.I was thinking i could just smoke this half of a cigarette.It's not even a whole one.I ended up sweeping it up and throwing it away.It felt good but i was so tempted for awhile there.
0 Kudos