Welcome,

We can make this work together!

Tammy

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
39 Replies
hollyallenrn

Hello everyone,

I had smoked for 27 years.  I had tried EVERYTHING to quit.  Gum, patches, pills ~ nothing worked.  I relate to Shelley who said it was like loosing your 'best friend'.  It was.  No one at work knew I smoked until I quit.  I told everyone.  Because I wanted and needed support.  The more people that know, the better your chances ~ I think.  I am an RN in PACU.  So, I was always nervous that people would smell smoke on my clothing.  Everyone said they never knew it...

Well, It has been one year ago today!  I gave them up, never to look back again.  No more gagging in the morning, ashamed to be around non smokers, feeling inadequate because I had to freeze in the cold or sweat in the heat to have a smoke, be unable to climb stairs without being winded (now I can go up and down 9 flights!  I used to have a problem going up 3 flights to my unit! 

I'm tellin you, I never thought I would make it.  This support group has helped me SO SO much!  The internet is wonderful.  Everytime I would feel like I couldn't do it, I would read a blog about the effects, someone elses story.... something.  Just get on the computer and read! 

I wish you all the best of luck with your quit dates ~  You can and will do it.  Just let your will be your guide.  Don't loose control of one of the things in life you can control.... Your life!  it's your LIFE....

Holly

0 Kudos
eskittels84

I am not a nurse yet. I am a CNA and let me tell ya its damn hard not to want a cigarette at work sometimes. I work in a nurseing home and fyi for those people out there ( wich of I was one at one point ) who think old people cute and sweet its a sad misconception. They can push your buttons and be down right EVIL at times. And there are ALOT of times that I just need to take 5 and go have a cigarette its hard not to. When I decide on weather im actualy gonna quit smokeing its gonna be the hardest to stick to at work. Especialy sence im friends with just about everyone I work with and the smokers way out number the non smokers infact i belive ther to only be about 1 nurse who doesnt smoke on my shift and she the rare one im not friends with.

0 Kudos
debbiem2

I'm a registered nurse and have smoked for 30 yrs. For the last 5 or so yrs I've gone underground and became a closet smoker. It's so embarrasing to be a nurse and smoke. I used to spray myself with Febreeze trying to hide it. I used to work in psychiatry and rationalized my smoking as "saving my life" when I'd offer an agitated patient a cigarette so we could sit down and talk. Yeah, real life saving, huh? I don't work in psych anymore. Now I work with pts who have chronic diseases like COPD, Asthma, CHF, Diabetes. It feels good to be able to talk to my patients about how to quit smoking and be upfront with them about my own battle.

26 days quit and hanging on!

0 Kudos
mckullyk

I am a CNA at a smoke free hospital so I go my whole shift without smoking.  I have 12 hour shifts and it is not that bad I don't really want to smoke at work because I am embarassed I am a smoker.  The minute I leave I get in my car and light up.  I usually smoke 2 on my drive home because my husband quit smoking and I don't like smoking around him.  I have been smoking now for 10 years its hard to believe because I am only 25.  I can see the wrinkles on  my face.  I know my teeth are stained from the years of smoking. My quit day is Jan 1, 2010. I have been cutting back and tracking my cigarettes and trigggers.  It really seems to help.  I used to smoke a pack a day and now I smoke at the most 10 cigs on my days off.  I feel like I am breaking up with one of my best friends and its hard slowly we are going to stop talking as much and losing touch and then on Jan 1 we will never  speak again because I am so sickof how much money I spend on her, she never spends money on me, She stinks and I stink when I am around her, she hogs all  my time quality time I could be spending with my daughter...

0 Kudos
lauderhill

Im an RN for 22 years I've smoked for about 25 years, Im becoming concerned about my health and I.d really like to quit I work in a CCU so I definately see the effects of smoking scary. I'm definately going to try, congrats to those of you that has had success 1 day is better yhan 0 days.

Steady  

0 Kudos
mandarin

I, unfortunately, can smoke outside at the facility where I work.  My quit date is January 04.  I am sick of depending on that stupid little white piece of garbage.  How many times I have gone ape because I have a cigarette but the lighter fell on the floor while I was driving......Good grief....

0 Kudos
leslie

I'm now on day 23, and doing well.  For those of you who have quit days coming soon, you can do it!  For the rest of us who have already quit, keep it up!  We all know all too well the end result of our addiction, so that can be part of our motivation to quit.  Just take it one day at a time and they add up fast.  Have a great day everyone!

0 Kudos
gottadoit

Hope you don't mind if I join your group. I am an ICU RN of 30 years, and have been somking even longer. I don't smoke at work for 2 reasons...It stinks, and I'd have to go 2 blocks away to have a smoke. Not worht it. I will quit Jan 1st.  I have quit in the past, and remember having  problems with feeling low energy and depressed. Not sure how to deal with that, but will have to figure it out. If anyone has any suggestions, I am open.

0 Kudos
bchpsc13

Long time smoker here, it's been almost 40 years!!  Ykes,  I;m not that old yet either, just early 50;s.  When I worked in Surgery, out pt. & in house, my boss took me to the morgue to try to moviate me,  no luck. Just embarrasment.  Today is day 3.

I'll be back.  Looking for support and suggestions, Thanks, 'B'

0 Kudos
gottadoit

Hi B,

Good to see another Nurse giving up the habit. Day 3 for me as well. I too am in my 50's and have a 40 year history of smoking. If I could only recoup all the money I've wasted on this habit!!! I'm doing surprisingly well, with the exception of eating too much.

How is it going for you? If you ever need any support, drop me a line.

We can do this!

0 Kudos