cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

marciem

Low dose CT Scan for Lung cancer

Hi!

I'm new to this site and to most of you.  

I wanted to put in a plug for this terrific advance in the detection of lung cancer, especially for smokers and ex-smokers.

I'm the poster girl for who this scan was made for.  I quit smoking a little over 5 years ago, after 40+ years smoking.  A year and a half ago I requested this test and my doctor ordered it.  There were nodules on the lungs, which google told me were pretty normal... but the radiologist recommended repeat in 3 months.  Three months later, one of the nodules was "stable or slightly larger", which had my doc send me to a pulmonologist, who flat out said 'Nodules are usually considered benign until proven otherwise... EXCEPT in people who've smoked, in which case they are presumed malignant until prove otherwise."  Ok, now I'm scared.  The nodule was small, small enough that he asked a radiologist if further studies should be done.  And the answer was "YES,  PET scan now".  So that was done, and the nodule lit up like a christmas light (meaning it hypermetabolized the contrast, meaning "probably malignant").  On to biopsy.  The nodule was of a size that the Interventional radiologist said "This is the smallest nodule I will biopsy, any smaller and we'd wait and see a bit".  Biopsy... nonsmall-cell squamous carcinoma.

Ok, at that point I took myself to the Stanford University cancer treatment center.  After more testing and consults, it was determined I was not suitable for surgery because of COPD (also thanks to smoking  )... BUT, SABR (stereotactic ablation) treatment was a viable and effective option since I had no signs of metastases.

Short story long  ... I am one year post treatment, no signs of recurrence, none of the other nodules has grown yet, and the tumor is really most sincerely dead.  All because of early detection by the LOW DOSE CT SCAN FOR LUNG CANCER.

I'm gratified that recently I have even seen TV commercials for this screening, it is a powerful message.  I do have to say it looks like the mountain of cigarettes that the ex-smoker climbs each cigarette has about 1 puff taken out of it... I probably smoked more cigarettes than she climbed, but I sure didn't leave that much behind ...LOL, nope, it all went in my lungs.

Don't wait until you have symptoms of Lung cancer... get tested now.

Tags (1)
36 Replies
Lisaml

Invaluable information right here! Thank you for sharing. 😉 congratulations on your continued quit and your health!!! 

marciem

Thanks for your comments...

Chuck... I don't know your location.  Insurance is usually required to cover this test, and I know Medicare does.  BUT, the quoted price for the test at Stanford University in California for self-pay is $417.00, which includes (according to them) a 50% discount.  Which would make it $834 without the discount, but they give the discount when you self-pay.  You might want to check other resources.  Your life and health could depend on it. 

Stage IV lung cancer (when it has become symptomatic, metastecized and grown) is seldom curable.  Stage I like mine was can be and has been cured, at least that one tumor.

I really can't stress to all of you the importance of informing yourself about this early detection, and getting it done.  The criteria say "over 55 years old".  I say "bah humbug" to that, a dear friend of mine passed at age 50 from Stage IV lung cancer.  The price is small if it saves your life.

Prairie Rose Lady... CONGRATS on your one month quit!!  The longest journeys start with the first steps, and you are past the hardest physical part of quitting!!  You can do it... you ARE doing it!!

Thanks for the info. I'll begin checking other resources and see what I can come up with. To me, the test makes perfect sense for anyone who has successfully quit. I believe my doctor told me the test was to be done once a year for ten years. I quit over seven years ago.

Again, thanks for the info! I'll do some investigating.

karenjones

So grateful to live in Canada where we have Universal Health Care.  I suppose some in the USA would simply not get this test because of cost. 

0 Kudos
elvan

I have one done annually and when there was something noted that had changed, I was notified to have a repeat which I did.  I do have nodules in my lungs, none of which have grown since my first Low Dose CT Scan, there was one small area that they wanted to see again and it is apparently scar tissue from having lung volume reduction surgery in 2015, my first scan was earlier that year.  I asked to have it based upon what Thomas3.20.2010‌ had posted.  My pulmonologist is not concerned about the nodules.  They have not changed except for the scar tissue and that has diminished in size.

Your story is something everyone should pay attention to.  Congratulations on your quit and your successful treatment

Welcome to EX.

Ellen

anaussiemom

I weep as I read this   My mom  went thru very similar experience as you.  back in 91.   Science as become much more advanced since then  Thank GOD!
Told her some of the same things.   They went in with a needle test came back great..  Long story short after 7 months of goofing around and watching it(doc)!  They went in removed what they could she was gone in 4 months later.  It was to late they had watched the dern nodule growth.!!  It was way to late .  She had not smoked as long as you or I , she started when she 27 stopped at 55 for lung surgery for the growth.  Gone  much to young  at 56.   IDK.-

Take  very good care of you.   Glad your keeping a good eye on this.  You came to great site.  Thank you for sharing. ❤️
I'm so glad your here. 

Mandolinrain

Im sorry to read about the loss of your Mother. That had to be so hard. Hugs

0 Kudos
marciem

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss, anaussiemom  .  That is worst-case scenario, and it sounds like her cancer was very aggressive and fast-growing, as happens with younger people (56 is WAY too young to die).   One of the (very few and far between) advantages of being old is that tumors tend to grow more slowly, so that was working in my favor.

anaussiemom

Thank You, my mom's in a good place with God. 

Congratulations on being a Non-Smoker!!!

roses-desi-glitters-59.gif

Mandolinrain

Good inför here. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. You have a beautiful quit going, congrats to you.