Give and get support around quitting

pahart12

LGBT

Congrats Rob!
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
159 Replies
jill33

I hope that everyone here is havin a successful week!!!!!!!!  keep a strong mind...heart...and soul.......

0 Kudos
kcharrisqos

Hey, peeps!  Oh, man.  I can't believe I wrote that.  "...peeps!"  That's the second time in a week I've used that word.  *sigh*  Guess that gay gene of mine keeps fighting to remain hip and with it.  LOL 

Anyway, I wanted to just take a second to sincerely thank everyone for joining the group and for being such a source of support and encouragement to me and each other.  I can't tell you how thankful I am for all the cool words, not to mention all the honest personal stories.  If you've already quit, CONGRATS!!!  I'm so jealous and I can't wait to be added to your numbers.  If you're like me and working toward a Quit Date, I know we'll get there.  I feel stronger than I ever have in my resolve to be a quitter.  Sounds funny, don't it?  Hmmm...  I think being considered a quitter in this case is praiseworthy. 

Big props to Jill and KlbKarKay, both are already living smokeless lives.  Nothing but warm thoughts to kdhobxn who started working the gum.  You'll make it happen, I know it.  I wish you nothing but good health, my friend.  And Eastbrook...  We're in the same boat, just white knuckling it til I Quite Date hits.  If you're like me, you're nervous as hell.  But like I said earlier, I feel strong this time around.  I just feel it's actually gonna happen AND IT'LL STICK!

Well, the weekend's here.  I hope everyone has one hot damn of a weekend.  Make it a good one. 

Ride strong,

KC

0 Kudos
edith2

Hey Eastbrook!  How is your first day going?

0 Kudos
klbkarkay

25 mins away from my 3 day anniversary.  I'm much like what has been said already.  First day was relatively easy.  Day 2 got a little hairier for me.  All of a sudden, my patience level has taken a nose dive.  LoL. I drive for a taxi type service and all those other drivers out there can't seem to get out of my way fast enough.  Ah well, this 2 shall pass.  I just wish it would HURRY up.  I did find myself in a couple of trigger points though and I had to remind myself that I'm not taking a puff today.  Day 3 has been about the same as Day 2 was.  I'm just recognizing why I'm not being so patient.  

Here's hoping everyone else is doing well with their quit.  Have a great day all,

Kay

0 Kudos
edith2

To KC and the rest of my new friends, if I can quit, you can too!  I was a die-hard smoker and had no desire to quit.  I was too chicken-shit to set a date.  So I did it spur-of-the-moment.  Bought some lozenges and asked for help from my higher power.  I couldn't believe I made it through the first day.  Somebody pinch me!  That one day added up and now I have a whole shitload of days!  Wow!  I'm a fricken non-smoker!

0 Kudos
shar

Hi everyone! I'm back! I got locked out of this site for over a month. My passwrd just wouldn't work and when they emailed it to me, it didn't work. Now today it worked....yahoo!

Anyway, I quit cold turkey Oct 23 2009! I am still quit....and still going crazy! I can't wait until it gets easier for me.....someone tell my brain to get off my ass and let me be free...lol.

I do have a lot of hard days....but I am not giving in

Glad to be back,

Shar

0 Kudos
eastbrook

Days 1 and 2 have come and gone.  Wow, were they ever long days.  I purposely stayed off the computer because waiting for pages to load was always an opportune time to smoke.  Everything took longer to do.  When I went to take a shower, I ended up cleaning the entire bathroom.  When I was washing dishes, I ended up moving all the things on the counter and cleaning behind them.  I imagine I did that to fill time.  I have chewed a lot of gum, eaten a lot of peppermint candies, and consumed about a pound of Swiss cheese (the taste in your mouth discourages smoking).  About cutting down on caffeine, I found that drinking more coffee and Mt Dew didn't increase my craving for a smoke.  My dog is pleased about the longer walks.  I do have one pack left unopened.  When I have tried before, not having any on hand as an emergency supply made me want them even more.  Not sure about the impact of the nicotine patches and addiction to nicotine.  I think it was more the process of holding, deep inhalation, and focus on the process of smoking more than anything else.    All of these physical movements are the same taught for stress reduction.  Don't know if any of these things will work for someone else, but have been working for me.  Strange, lately I have been more worried about second hand smoke effects on my dog more so than first hand effects on me.  Might even get through a pile of paperwork and get ready to file taxes.

0 Kudos
angie46

I dont understand why it is so important in a movie or a show 4 people 2 smoke in them everything i have tried 2 watch they smoke it really makes it harder 2 stay smoke free. I never noticed how much people smoke on tv until i quit.

0 Kudos
angie46

how do i put a pic on here

0 Kudos
sr_2

Congrats to Eastbrook, Kay, Jill and her partner, Shar, and all else here who've already quit!!!   I'm trying to join y'all .... yesterday was my last day smoking. And Eastbrook, I'm right with you about how everything takes longer --- though the partner does love all the cleaning. ,-)   Just trying to remember why I'm doing this --- and that all those goals are SO much more important to me than satisfying a transitory craving.      KC, quit date's not far off now, right?  Stand strong - you can do this!  And kdhobxn, you're on the path, too - keep up w/the gum and make it happen. There's plenty enough challenges for us out there in the world without us adding more on ourselves.

0 Kudos