cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

mpnaegle

Keeping my quit a secret

In the past, I would tell anyone who would listen that I quit smoking.  This time, I’m keeping it to myself, at least at first...has anyone else done this?  

30 Replies
Nannie2018

I am on day 5 and have not told anyone, mostly because I was a closet smoker.  I'm thinking after I have made it a week, I will tell my daughters!

BeKind

I didn't tell anyone until the 3rd day. I'm kinda keeping it a secret for now - only my sister and close friend know. My neighbors may figure it out, since I'm not outside smoking.

mpnaegle

Yes I waited 3 days before I told anyone.  And even now only a few people know...I’m sure others will figure out that there’s something different about me but I don’t want a bunch of people constantly asking me about it.

elvan

I remember talking to my oldest daughter when we had both quit.  She elected not to tell people because she felt like when they asked her how long it had been that they snickered because she had gone back to smoking many times before.  She said she hated being asked...she also hated people just coming up and asking, "so how's the quit going?"  She felt like they were waiting for her to fail...she also hated the "I am so proud of you."   I told the world but it was part of my plan...I had two failed short term quits just months before this one and I was bound and determined that THIS WOULD be my FOREVER Quit.  I was so tired of feeling ashamed of myself for going back to smoking over and over again when it was clearly killing me.  I KNEW this quit had to stick because I knew that I was getting sicker and sicker.  It was the best thing I have ever done for myself, hands down.

TBenyi

I have done that too. Mainly the first few times I really tried to quit and didn't make it that far; despite the embarrassment. After that I just didn't tell anyone I was trying so I wouldn't have to deal with it if I failed. This time however seems different and I not only told my family but posted here. I have to make it this time.

smokefreedom

I did the same thing this time, and now I'm over 7 years smokeless...

You do what you feel is right for you.....................stay on course.

mpnaegle

Thanks Smokefreedom!  Yes I’m telling very few people and I’m not advertising it.  If my friends notice and ask I’ll tell them but not going to volunteer that info...

newlife5

i found that by "announcing "i quit i was really trying to convince myself that i did indeed quit. but as i failed  time after time.. i found it embarrasing to announce,.. then someone told me why announce it ... after all not smoking is the natural way to be... would you annouce that you are now drinking water?,.. no,  just focus on being healthy and not smoking who cares what everyone thinks... this is something you are doing for yourself.. and your well being... and  dont smoke...please...

ShawnP

I always told and the replies i would get would be "yeah right" and they were right cause i always failed in the end but, i knew this last one was it and it was. I proved to myself and to them that i could do it.

mpnaegle

Yes, I feel the same way.  I know this quit is it!!!!!