cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

cess101

I am new -- Cess101 Standing By

Hello,

I am new to Become An Ex but not new to quitting. I quit on Oct. 12, 2006 and wish to be of support to other quitters. I came here from Try To Stop and also hope to see a few of my TTS'er friends come aboard soon to meet up with me. In the meantime, I look forward to browsing around. Where do I start? Any suggestions?
0 Kudos
29 Replies
polly2

Hi Cess!

It's nice to have people around who have years under their belts! I'm on day 8, mostly cold turkey (3 days using lozenges)! I'm finding that the cravings come and go in what seem to be large waves at different times. At other times, I don't even think about it. This is the first time I've used a support group to quit and the support here has been totally awesome! I know it is making a huge difference for me. Also, being able to reach out and help others who feel the same really helps as well. I have been using the statement, "smoking is not an option," in my mind to stop the head games from overwhelming me! Anyway, on that note, welcome and thanks for your advice!
0 Kudos
cess101

Thanks polly for the welcome, and; I like the statement too WooHoo!! (um I get a little wound up so don't mind me at times, haha). Actually, having a little fun with quitting kind of helped me quit and stay quit too. For instance, when a craving strikes, "dance, do a little jig or something" don't smoke! or sing: "I smell good. doo doo, doo doo doo doo, doo, like I knew that I would......." (haha)

These bulletin boards (the reading & posting) for one, keep the momentum going. Take it slow and steady along the bumps and steeper climbs. Posting is fun! You are doing great and I am proud of you. Have you asked your family and friends for input about your smoking and/or your quitting? I asked for input and kept a few of the pep talks I received on index cards for quick glancing when cravings struck.

Thanks for replying to my post if nothing else (haha) for the fun of it.

Remember, changes take time. It takes time to develop better habits or thoughts and behaviors to replace those of the typical smoking ritual. You know how you do something over and over again for so long and, well, it becomes engrained. Think about it. You can calculate an equation for it even.

How long did you smoke?
How many times a day did you perform the ritual of smoking?
[opening a pack, removing a cigarette from a pack, putting it to your lips, reaching for a match/lighter, lighting it, bringing it to and from your lips, inhaling/exhaling/puffing on it (average is about 12 puffs/cigarette), tapping ashes, smashing it out in an ashtray, etc.].
How long did it take to smoke one cigarette? How many puffs did it take etc.?

Try to remember and take notice of all those things because they make up "the pattern" which you need to break. I've heard it referred to as "pattern interrupt." Like you said, "smoking is not an option" but practically anything else is and you can find a lot of other favorite things to break the old pattern. Strategy!

Also, I was reading where the process of making changes, such as smoking cessation, works moreso in a "circular" fashion rather than a "linear" way. In other words, you will continually have good days and bad days with quitting. It's not easy. Perhaps thinking of it in that sense will help too. Keep up the good work everyone.

cess101
0 Kudos
polly2

"I smell good. doo doo, doo doo doo doo, doo, like I knew that I would......." I love it!! Actually, I used to jog with James Brown singing in my head -- I'm laughing my head off, because I know this is right up my alley -- thanks!!

I just calcualted that I smoked at least 60,840 cigarettes -- 39 years worth -- possibly more. That's close to 5,100 hours...How gross, but good to see! Yes, it helps to know that I will have good days and bad days. Thanks so much for the song! I don't think I'll be booked in Vegas, but ya never know -- LOL! Have a great day and truly, thanks again!!!
0 Kudos
polly2

I actually made a mistake...I smoked about 426,000 cigarettes -- byuccccccck! It's so much different to see it all lumped together...Thanks again!
0 Kudos
bobbi2

Hi History,
So good to see you here. How long has it been now since you quit? I have 1 year, 3 mo. now. So proud of it, but I still do have hard times. Probably will all my life, sure wish for NOT!
Are you still on msn chat? or was it yahoo chat? been along time.
Hugs, prayers,
Bobbi
0 Kudos
bobbi2

Hi again Cess,
How is it going for you? Yes so good to see people we know around. Don't you just love Hammer's pict. soooooooo KOOL!
Hugs, prayers,
Bobbi
0 Kudos
bobbi2

Cess let me know as I was on the TTS also, which I loved the site, sure helped me many months ago, I thank all for the welcome here! Many from the TTS are coming here and I am soooo glad to have old friends and to make new ones.
Hugs, prayers,
Bobbi
0 Kudos
bobbi2

Forgot to put my message was to Cliff. Just had a no smoke moment! lol lol have many of those!
Hugs, prayers,
Bobbi
0 Kudos

Blog. That's my thing. Or where i started rather.
0 Kudos
historyteach

Doing good, Cess.
Even spent the day with my smoking cousin... Yuck!
But, Ididn't even want one. It STUNK!

I am now Five days, 10 hours, 50 minutes and 46 seconds nicotine free. That's 109 cigarettes not smoked, saving $32.71. Life saved: 9 hours, 5 minutes. YEA!!! Just IMAGINE if I hadn't relapsed! 😉

Ok, life is good. The day was beautiful and I plan on going to the beach tomorrow, cuz, I didn't make it today! LOL!

Shalom!
0 Kudos