cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

kjhh

How do you stop

Jump to solution

I am trying to break the connection between nicotine and moments in my life. it’s been really hard to view this in a positive light, because logically i know it’s good for me, but emotionally i want to hit my vape during good times, bad times, boring times, etc. how do you move on and find new ways to be present without it? how do you become a new person who doesn’t consume nicotine? 

Labels (3)
3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Barbscloud

@kjhh Welcome to the Ex and congrats on your desire to quit.  What you're feeling is a normal reaction to having a nicotine addiction.  After all, we've smoked/vaped our way through every activity or emotion, good or bad.  Nicotine reaches your brain in seconds and was designed to give you a temporary high.  It is short lived so you need another hit in short period of time to feed the addiction. 

You can win that internal battle by educating yourself about nicotine addiction and putting a plan in place with how you'll deal with cravings, identifying your triggers and creating the new associations you'll create instead of smoking. This comes into play when you're having cravings in the morning for example.  What can you do instead of smoking? Change up your routine. Go for walk, read material on the Ex, if you drink coffee, for example, drink it in a different place, etc. Be creative.

And you just found an amazing group of quitters here to support you on this journey to becoming an Ex. There will be ups and downs, but that is part of the journey. We're here for you, so just reach out anytime we can help or want to share your experience.

This link is a great place to get you started on the right track. https://www.becomeanex.org/guides/?cid=footer_community_linktobex

Consider taking the Daily Pledge to stay on track one day at a time.

Pick a quit date, do the preparation and utilize the support available on the ex.   It's a been a recipe for success for many quitters. 

Stay busy and stay close.

Barb

View solution in original post

AnnetteMM

Hi, @kjhh In answer to your question, the way to break the connection is to make new ones. Instead of vaping, try carrying a cinnamon stick or a straw. Change it up, maybe try a Twizzler, or a piece of hard candy.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Barbscloud

@kjhh Welcome to the Ex and congrats on your desire to quit.  What you're feeling is a normal reaction to having a nicotine addiction.  After all, we've smoked/vaped our way through every activity or emotion, good or bad.  Nicotine reaches your brain in seconds and was designed to give you a temporary high.  It is short lived so you need another hit in short period of time to feed the addiction. 

You can win that internal battle by educating yourself about nicotine addiction and putting a plan in place with how you'll deal with cravings, identifying your triggers and creating the new associations you'll create instead of smoking. This comes into play when you're having cravings in the morning for example.  What can you do instead of smoking? Change up your routine. Go for walk, read material on the Ex, if you drink coffee, for example, drink it in a different place, etc. Be creative.

And you just found an amazing group of quitters here to support you on this journey to becoming an Ex. There will be ups and downs, but that is part of the journey. We're here for you, so just reach out anytime we can help or want to share your experience.

This link is a great place to get you started on the right track. https://www.becomeanex.org/guides/?cid=footer_community_linktobex

Consider taking the Daily Pledge to stay on track one day at a time.

Pick a quit date, do the preparation and utilize the support available on the ex.   It's a been a recipe for success for many quitters. 

Barb

Barbscloud

@kjhh There is also a quit vaping group.  

Quit Vaping - EX Community

Barb

nevittbill62

Is their a quit chewing group

0 Kudos
nevittbill62

After 64 years of chewing its really hard to stop

Barbscloud

@nevittbill62 I not aware of a chewing group, but I think you'll find all the information, advice, and support you need on the main site. Yes, I know it's really hard.  Nicotine is a very addictive chemical, but it can be done.  I smoked to 50 years and attempted to quit numerous time.  Prior to the Ex, I went into my quits blindly.  I'd pick an aid, a date, and expected something magical to happen. It never did.  Even with an aid, it takes work.

A week prior to the this quit (approaching 6 years) I found the Ex by accident.  I had my aids in place, attended a cessation class and cut down for week.  What was missing was concrete plan how I would actually quit.   How would I  deal with cravings, what were my triggers, what tools would I use, and learning to create new associations to replace smoking.  Check out this link to prepare for your journey.  It is a journey that will have it's ups and downs in the beginning.

https://www.becomeanex.org/guides/?cid=footer_community_linktobex

When I found this site, I also learned how invaluable support from fellow quitters can be.  It made all the difference for me having others to turn to when I had a moment of considering smoking again.

Believe in yourself that you can do it. Approaching your quit one day at a time helps to alleviate much of the anxiety we experience when we think about quitting.  We're here to support you so reach out anytime you need help, want to share your experience, and to support other quitters.

Have you considered using an aid?  I used Welbutrin and nicotrol inhalers.

Smokeless Tobacco - EX Community   from the Mayo Clinic

I see you picked a quit date.  Start preparing for you quit and join us on becoming and ex.

Barb

AnnetteMM

Hi, @kjhh In answer to your question, the way to break the connection is to make new ones. Instead of vaping, try carrying a cinnamon stick or a straw. Change it up, maybe try a Twizzler, or a piece of hard candy.

biscuit9

How do you stop, you mean, when you have no desire to stop the addiction?  I had no desire to quit, but intellectually I knew I had to quit.  (I have a friend who has smoked a very long time and he is having some serious problems from smoking and he still smokes).  I finally had to hand over my nic addiction to God and ask him to give me the desire to quit.  The next day and for about 2 weeks all I did was watch awful smokng videos on whyquit.com (I did not know this site existed yet).  I filled my brain with knowledge and information on the reality of what smoking is doing to my body, in REAL TERMS. 

It will take some effort on your part, to overcome this and getting educated about how nic addicts you, will help.  You have to know your enemy, to defeat your enemy.  Nicotine is your enemy, so read and learn, so you can set a quit date.  I am 453 days quit, and it is not by accident.  I had to step outside my comfort zone and you will to, because just "wanting to quit" is not enough for most nic addicts. You CAN quit, you have to be willing.  

maryfreecig

I stopped by having a "fireside chat" with myself about quitting. I asked questions like: If I mean business, then what am I willing to do to change? I knew that I couldn't just stop by making up my mind to stop, I had to have an idea of what I'd do on day one, two...etc. I made a lot of decisions and then I expected a lot of myself even though I didn't feel prepared.

Addiction was easy. Quitting was not. Time not smoking cured me of my worship of smoking (nicotine addiction). 

Don't expect your feelings to change, change your actions first, the spirit will follow. One step, one day at a time is how we go from being addicted to being free.

Yes you can, keep working on your willingness to quit.

ReallyReal

I was a heavy smoker and in recent times I began to vape too, when having a cigarette wasn't convenient. For me, breaking the connections to nicotine is not something that just happens to you but rather is a continuous string of actions you take based on a decision you've made to quit smoking or vaping. You will need to do things, take action, develop tools to use that allow you to distract and distance yourself from desires to use nicotine. Unfortunately, for many including myself, the decision to quit didn't come until the physical damage that tobacco and nicotine delivery devices causes became too real to continue to ignore and deny.  I had to take an honest, head long look at what my addiction was doing to my body, my finances, my mental health, my friendships, my spirit, etc.  It was all negative what smoking was doing to me--all of it.  And even though quitting is hard, takes determination, courage and strength, there is nothing negative about quitting nicotine--it is all positive with abundant rewards of improved health, finances and mental health.  I hope you do well with quitting, it is a choice in favor of a healthier, happier life that only you can make for yourself.  Wishing you the best.