cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

historyteach

Hi, new here; not new to quitting!

Hi, everyone. I'm a history teacher, as you might have guessed by my name, lol!
Oh, I wish we had smilies here. It's so much more interesting and fun to write when there are those little people to play with! LOL!
Ok, well, here's my story:

I relapsed after a two year quit. I look back and can see all the reasons why I relapsed. In the end, I didn't do what I had to do to stay quit. I didn't practice those behaviors that helped me quit.

But, here are some of the factors that led to my relapse. I'm telling you so that you can learn from my error, and indeed, you may help me. Because, the fact is, much of it was beyond my control!

1. I live in the North East and we had an early, and long, harsh winter. I have long suffered from seasonal affective disorder, (SAD) -- a seasonal depression. SAD, like my quit, is helped by exercise, but...

2. I was not allowed to exercise, due to a medical problem. No exercise at all. Not even walking!

3. I was in a horrible workplace with the worst administrator I've ever worked for for three years. In over 20 years as an educator, I never filed a grievance until I met this man - and I filed @ 13 against him! The stress was terrible!

4. I was then involuntarilly transferred in the middle of the year. The jerk I worked for then threated to have me fired because I couldn't do the impossible!

5. My son went back out. He's a heroin addict who was straight and going to school. He's in a rehab now, thank goodness, but, he slipped this past winter.

6. No raise; no contract; and we all know what the price of gas and oil has done.

7. My doc said I was prediabetic and had to loose weight - without the aide of exercise! (I did! )

So, these are the pressures that I dealt with. And as I said, I didn't even have exercise to help me burn off the steam.

So, my question to you all, then, is this.
How can we deal with these types of stressors when we cannot use our tried and true methods that have helped us stay quit?

I'm not feeling bad for myself. I know I picked up the butts. Bad choice. And it didn't help with the stress either. It only ADDED to the stress by making me feel stupid, feel like a failure, by costing me money I didn't have, and by making me sick again - it's funny how the cough comes right back!

So, what could I have done to ease the pressure valve that was ready to blow, besides smoking, when I couldn't exercise?

Thanks for any advice!

Shalom!
0 Kudos
14 Replies
james10

working your brain is just as effective as a gym....you have alot going on in your life....but doing games online....strating a hobble...or even jumping on here to talk when you want to have a smoke can help........drawing.....sucking on cinimon sticks can help....or put a mint in your mouth when you want one...it does help...hit me up if you need to chat
0 Kudos
cess101

Hi historyteach and james too,

How about "ACE" it? ACE = Avoid, Cope, Escape

HALT!!! Remember that one?

H = Hungry
A = Angry
L = Lonely
T = Tired

Add more if you like :<)
Then you think of alternative ways to handle it besides fo smoking.

Remember the list? of reasons why you smoke? I smoke when I am Hungry. I smoke when I am Happy. I smoke when I am aggravated or angry. I smoke when I am lonely. I smoke when I am at or after I finish lunch. I smoke when I am tired. (Not really funny but) at first I remember my list was "all the above! (haha)"

Smoking is such a lousy habit, how it overwhelms your daily life especially. You don't want to be bound by those chains, do you? Not really! I think it's the fear of breaking loose that's so hard but breaking it into step by step plan &/or taking it day by day eases things a bit. Think of all the better things there are to do besides for smoking and make a list.

It only takes a couple minutes to distract yourself away from the thought of smoking. So like James recommended, exercising your brain helps. Stretch your imagination (if nothing else) until you are far away, in a most pleasant place you can imagine. Post or write these things down or draw a picture if you prefer. Keep some tricks up your sleeve (handy) such as straws, your favorite song(s)/music, punching balls.....

Anyway, if there were smiley icons I'd want to send a BIG hug with this. Keep up the good quit.

cess101
0 Kudos
polly2

Hi Teach! Maybe you should go back and look at a few things. Did the cigarettes really help you deal with everything that was going on? What caused you to get to the point to where you had another cigarette? My guess is that it was your mind telling you that it was OK, when it really wasn't. I'm sure it didn't help your medical problem or help you with money. I'm only on day 9 here, but as many times as I've quit (at least hundreds), each time I've gone back was due to my mind saying cigarettes would somehow help the way I was feeling. When I put that first cigarette in my mouth and lit it up, not only did I feel like passing out, but also guilty as all get out. So now my mind was really going bonkers!

I've come come in with a different philosophy this time. I've gotten the nicotine out of my system, but the cravings still come and go in waves. This time, everytime I have a bad craving, I fight it with the thought, "Smoking is not an option." It doesn't matter how many times I have to repeat it over and over again. For that matter, the more I say it, the more it is getting pushed down into my subconscious! It eliminates all excuses, which lead to rationalization! It really is working for me. I'm also keeping my mind busy, staying close to this site, and making my pledge everyday to remain smoke free.

I'm sorry that you had so much going on at one time and can only imagine how hard it must have been for you. However, you are back and that's what counts most of all! I hope this may have helped you somehow! Keep in touch, OK? You CAN do this forever!!
0 Kudos
polly2

Hi Teach! Maybe you should go back and look at a few things. Did the cigarettes really help you deal with everything that was going on? What caused you to get to the point to where you had another cigarette? My guess is that it was your mind telling you that it was OK, when it really wasn't. I'm sure it didn't help your medical problem or help you with money. I'm only on day 9 here, but as many times as I've quit (at least hundreds), each time I've gone back was due to my mind saying cigarettes would somehow help the way I was feeling. When I put that first cigarette in my mouth and lit it up, not only did I feel like passing out, but also guilty as all get out. So now my mind was really going bonkers!

I've come come in with a different philosophy this time. I've gotten the nicotine out of my system, but the cravings still come and go in waves. This time, everytime I have a bad craving, I fight it with the thought, "Smoking is not an option." It doesn't matter how many times I have to repeat it over and over again. For that matter, the more I say it, the more it is getting pushed down into my subconscious! It eliminates all excuses, which lead to rationalization! It really is working for me. I'm also keeping my mind busy, staying close to this site, and making my pledge everyday to remain smoke free.

I'm sorry that you had so much going on at one time and can only imagine how hard it must have been for you. However, you are back and that's what counts most of all! I hope this may have helped you somehow! Keep in touch, OK? You CAN do this forever!!
0 Kudos
lydia3

So, I'm new here (just today!) so I don't have all the answers but I can tell you this. Besides being an addiction, smoking can also be a symptom to a problem. You seem to smoke when stress comes. So deal with the stress. Not being able to excercise is just an excuse to smoke. Do not allow yourself the excuses. There are many things you can use to de-stress. Listen to music, do some yogo (I know, sounds corny, but I tried it and it was really relaxing), get lost in a book, take up a new language, get a pet and dive into training it. There is a wonderful world out there full of great distractions. Find one that makes your heart happy and go for it!
0 Kudos
nan7

Paint by numbers? super idea. There is so much that we "get" to do now that we don't "have" to sneak away and feed our addiction. Another idea is self-hypnosis or motivational cd's. They are mostly affirmations on healthy living. They sure make me feel good. Then i have the energy to do something that is good for me instead of watching tv and getting sluggish. Another idea, don't turn on the tv, turn on the radio. Music automatically makes one feel better. That old rock n roll never fails to take me to a happy place. Good luck to you and WELCOME. You'll find lots of support here. Photobucket
0 Kudos
cindy25

I think there are many good suggestions here. blowing off mental steam is important. Taking up a new hobby or two that use your hands is really a good thing to do. Make a list of everything you "always wanted to do" and see what you can accomplish during this quit. Make it a personal challenge.

If exercise is still not an option, maybe your doctor would refer you to a physical therapist for an evaluation and suggestions that would not aggravate your condition.
0 Kudos
historyteach

I belong to another online group.
But, a hobby is a very good idea!
Sucking on cinnamon sticks, I learned early in my 2 year quit, only gave me cravings for a butt. Yea, I think it was due to the oral and hand movements, ya know? Anyway, don't want to do someting I know isn't going to work!
Thanks for the offer of a chat!
0 Kudos
historyteach

I *do* meditate. And use imagery. And progressive relaxation. :>)
Those are some things others might be interested in, though!

Thanks!
0 Kudos