cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

daverson828

Driving

Any suggestions particular to driving? I learned to drive at the same time I learned to smoke (though I mastered the latter much faster) and I'm realizing on day 2 how closely they're associated. It was below freezing this morning and I kept telling myself how wonderful it was to have the windows closed all the way to work -- which is true! Any suggestions or thoughts on breaking this association would be very welcome.

30 Replies
Kdot1st

Yeah, I have had trouble saying that word since I was a kid. Lol

SuzyQ411

For me, it was cut up straws which I'd hold in my hand like a cigarette, and Tootsie Pop lollipops. Congrats daverson828‌ on your decision to be smoke-free! I've heard it said that once we smoke that last cigarette, we are already a non-smoker. BTW.

daverson828

Thank you, SuzyQ!

I mainly smoke when I drive. I’d be interested in tips on curbing that association 

Barbscloud

@daverson828 Welcome to the Ex and congrats on your decision to quit.  Read lots of material on the site.  This link has some great information to get you started.

https://www.becomeanex.org/guides/?cid=footer_community_linktobex

"Remove the ashtray, lighter, and cigarettes from your car. Turn your radio on or put on your favorite tape or CD and sing along. Clean your car and make sure to use deodorizers to reduce the tobacco smell. Ask friends and passengers not to smoke in your car. If you're not driving, find something to do with your hands. Take an alternate route to work. Try carpooling. For a little while, avoid taking long car trips. If you do, take plenty of rest stops. Keep non-fattening snacks in your car (sunflower seeds, licorice, sugarless gum and hard candy). Take fresh fruit with you on long trips. Plan stops for water or fruit juice."  Start practicing before your quit!

This answer is based on source information from the National Cancer Institute.

Stay busy and stay close.

Barb

Thank you so much for this. I will give it a shot…!

SuzyQ411

Hello @swalls21218gmaD ~ I identify with the driving situation and also associated smoking with being on the telephone. I see that your quit date is coming up toward the end of this month. So I will suggest what I practiced during my pre-quit days to start attacking this association:  I did not allow the cigarettes in the car; I'd put them in the trunk before I left home. Their not being readily accessible immediately cut back on my driving/smoking cigarettes and began the break of that association. I am now almost two years as a non-smoker and no longer have that mental connection 😊  Might this work for you as well?

I will definitely try this. Thanks so much for your input

0 Kudos
ebeth0725

Chewing gum helps me a lot. The more I can put in my mouth, the better. Pick fun flavors. I blow bubbles too. I also have some fidget toys for my right hand.

Thank you!

0 Kudos