cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

daverson828

Driving

Any suggestions particular to driving? I learned to drive at the same time I learned to smoke (though I mastered the latter much faster) and I'm realizing on day 2 how closely they're associated. It was below freezing this morning and I kept telling myself how wonderful it was to have the windows closed all the way to work -- which is true! Any suggestions or thoughts on breaking this association would be very welcome.

30 Replies
MartyO

Driving is a big trigger for me as well!  

I chew/use a Quitgo inhaler and Flossy sticks (clean teeth).  

I was surprised to learn (bc I had heard)  LOUD music does actually help me, too.  

Good luck.

Barbscloud

Fortunately for me I quit smoking in my car several years ago.  At that time I relied on listening to music and singing along.  When I quit smoking I also kept straws to chew on, Sour Patch Kids and something to read when I arrived early for my destination.  That was always a smoking time for me.

Barb

alissastump

I too have found that turning up the music and singing along helps A LOT.  The stronger the crave, the louder I sing LOL.  I have also found that when I go for those high notes now, I don't end up in a coughing fit half way through! 

Christine13

I also sing, and I have water with me, and I would always pop a peppermint into my mouth my favourite candy.

sweetplt

Sing your heart out...have a bottled water to go to drink instead of the smokes...and/or hard candy...You can do this...

Congratulations on Day 3 of your Freedom...Hang tough...~ Colleen 452 DOF 

Kdot1st

Today is my 1st day. How do you find out who quits near you? 

Giulia

Welcome.  You might try putting your state and town in the search box upper right (looks like a magnifying glass).  But it looks, from your page, like your're in Nashville.  So check out this link:  Tennessee Quitters   Never mind.  When I just checked, it didn't look like anyone has been to that group and responded to anything since 2011.  So, just put up a blog and tell us about yourself and ask if anyone else lives in Nashville.  We had a reunion with the EX group there a couple of years ago.  Head to The Best of EX for good reading to get you started on this journey.  Cheers!

Kdot1st

I actually meant to post that in another blog and it ended up here by accident somehow but thank you so much for your helpful reply. 

SuzyQ411

Congratulations on choosing to be a non-smoker Kdot1st‌ and welcome to the Ex!!

DavesTime

Two words: cinnamon sticks!