cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Breakinchains

Driving Tips

Does anyone  have some tips on how to make driving without the smokes any  easier? The thing I did was to have some breath mints handy, also I drank lots of diet coke. Just  something about the  taste. If I drank diet coke, I didn't crave as bad. Both of these activities allowed me to use my hands also. When you must get gas, use a credit card or debit card and pay at the pump. Don't walk into the store. I did this for the first couple of weeks to avoid the temptation of buying a pack of smokes. This is what worked for me. Anyone else have any more suggestions?

Tags (1)
5 Replies
james41

I was so glad to be free from dropping cherry bombs and burning carpet and seats , and being free from all the ash mess everywhere that when I first quit I was breathing a sigh of relief to be rid of all the problems that came along with smoking while driving. I'm not saying that like others, when a good song came on  that I didi'nt turn up the radio  and light  a cigarette and think I really enjoyed it , I thought I did. But driving without the cigarette is much better.

I did however say ok first time to drive it's  another page to turn and you can so do it and go on.

Driving was probably my biggest fear concerning quitting cos smoking was as much a part of driving as putting on my seatbelt!  And it was the last behavior I relearned before quitting.  The first time I actually left home w/o cigs and lighter was a biggie-and I remember feeling so fidgity but like Sheri music was my salvation. *grins*

I always have either radio or CD player going but when I smoked I had to keep a window cracked so couldn't hear music as well.  Now I can keep the windows up AND with my improved lung function I sing along with the tunes!  Eh its a good thing I'm usually in my car alone and have the windows up...but yea now I can sing through a whole CD and still have breath left over.   Another thing that encourages me is seeing how the front console is no longer littered with ashes and the windows are clear as can be-no more nicotine clouding them!  

These days I no longer even think of smoking when I'm driving!  Amazing for someone who before had a cig going before I was past my driveway....

Janice M. Davis
Kkplayhouse

I surely understand the apprehension of driving. I held onto the steering wheel real tight and sung along with the radio at the top of my lungs. It wasn't a pretty sight but it got me through it. Mostly though I had to just do it because I have to drive to get anywhere

0 Kudos
indingrl

Gosh I remember chewing double bubble by the BUCKETS- ONLY by Gods grace I remained a NON SMOKER!!! YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO and thanking God for  breaking the chains and all of you who taught ME in early RECOVER FROM NICOTINE TO BLOG BEFORE I TOOK THAT FIRST PUFF OVER ME!

0 Kudos
sweetplt

Sing to the radio, smile a lot, pray, chew gum...

0 Kudos