cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

JACKIE1-25-15

Don’t let smoking be your option

Every day we wake up we want to make the best of our day.   We make a "To Do List" and set priorities to manage our time on things we would like to accomplish.  As an EXer the first thing we need to put on our list is to “protect my quit”.  It is crucial to have a daily mindset not to lose it.  How can we go about protecting our quit?  Here’s a summary list of ideas.

1.  Know your triggers and be prepared, have a plan and use your tools
  3. Come here on a regular basis to pledge, read/write blogs, give and recieve support.
  5. Learn about nicotine addition 
  7. Keep a list of the reasons why you quit handy
  9. Change the people, places and things that you associate with smoking
  11. If you drink alcohol and have to smoke, don’t drink
  13. If being around smokers causes you to smoke, don’t be around smokers
  15. Learn positive self-talk to help change your thoughts
  17. Stay busy, take up a hobby/crafts, exercise.
  19. Do whatever is necessary for you not to take a puff. NOPE
  21. Remember it’s only one puff away from relapse.
  23. Always have the mindset “What can I do to protect my quit today"?
  25. http://www.cancer.org/healthy/stayawayfromtobacco/quitting-smoking-help-for-cravings-and-tough-situa...
  27. PROTECT MY QUIT
  29. SMOKING IS NOT AN OPTION  S.I.N.A.O.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
shashort

Thank you Jackie for a great list and reminder.  I am protecting my quit NOPE! for and SINAO and hanging with smokers is one of my triggers so I stay away and of course exercise is my stress buster. I also use self talk by looking in a mirror and telling my self every day I AM A NONSMOKER! so works for me so far. No smoking for me.

0 Kudos
JustSharon

That was a good read Jackie. Always in need of reminders and that was one of the better lists. Protecting my quit is the first thing on my mind each day. Reading is what I do first thing.  Smoke free here. Have a great smoke free day for yourself

0 Kudos
SimplySheri

As always, Jackie, you get to the heart of the matter and you help those in need!!  Brilliant post about all we should be doing to protect our precious quits.  Thank you for your insight and your compassion as quitters navigate the road to freedom!! 

0 Kudos
tjanddj

Thank you Jackie a wonderful list on how to protect our quit! Smoking was not an option for me and there is plenty of options to do instead of smoking to keep you distracted from those annoying craving thoughts.

0 Kudos
TerrieQuit

Yet another great post, Jackie! I love the list idea (all I have to do is remember where I put the darn list! haha!)

My option door is closed and locked.

You are a great help to EXers! Thanks, Jackie!

Don't Quit on your Quit!

0 Kudos
jonilou

This is great, Jackie! Very helpful and informative. We must do all we can to remove smoking as an option, EVER! Thank you!

0 Kudos
Strudel

What a great list - thanks Jackie! 

0 Kudos