cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Do you remember smoking on a plane?

I do.They didn't start restricting smoking on planes in any way until 1988 when they disallowed it on flights less than 2 hours.

Inflight smoking - Wikipedia 

17 Replies
Barbscloud

Only from TV and movies.  I don't fly.

0 Kudos
Gibbar

You don't fly? O my! It's okay you aren't the only one who doesn't!!

AnnetteMM

I do. And I remember smoking on buses and in stores. Crazy, right?

Barb102

Really crazy. They had the non-smoking section in the seats in front of the smoking section. I remember doctors smoked in their offices and offered you one. Unfortunately I always had my own. Things have changed but not enough. Here I go again but if only they would stop growing tobacco 

Barbara145

Oh yes.  I loved smoking on planes.  Couldn't wait until they turned off the "No Smoking" sign so I could light up.  I was a nurse.  Doctors. nurses and patients were free to smoke at the desks, in patients rooms, etc.  Hospitals had to be full of smoke most of the time.  No one seemed to notice including me.  I wish now that I would not have done all that smoking. It was not worth the emphysema I now have. 

MarilynH

Unfortunately I remember smoking on a plane too way back in 1981 and again in 1983 but thankfully not anymore and isn't it wonderful that we are living a Smokefree Life?

0 Kudos

Nope. I’m only 37. Teeheeeheee

minihorses

Oh, yes I remember.  The smokers had to go to the back of the aircraft when I flew depending on the aircraft but when they stopped allowing it on flights sucked. My first long flight was a business trip across country to California and couldn't wait to switch planes, with a layover preferably  Planes, trains, stores, medical facilities, restaurants, etc. I remember going grocery shopping with my mom and people were smoking. You could smoke everywhere then, now you have to go outside and be put in a dog kennel to even vape.  I'm just glad that as a non-smoker I don't have to be the one in the dog house anymore!

avian3

For some reason the memory of flying on a 747 non stop to Chicago with only 50 people on the plane and me reading the book "Mommie Dearest" comes to mind. I remember how wonderful it was to have all that room to myself, a glass of wine and smoking like a chimney. I certainly don't miss the smoking, but I DO miss all that room and flying non stop.

I also remember when I was 29 and had to stay overnight in the hospital after a tonsillectomy and smoking in the room.