cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

sarah31

Distractions to keep from smoking

I'm trying to come up with a list of things to do to keep me occupied when I quit (June 4). I'd love to get ideas from other people. I'm looking for activities to look forward to, something to be excited about, anything to keep my mind on positive things! So far I have come up with (or gotten these ideas from posts on this site):
- paint by numbers
- knitting
- puzzles
- reading
- Sudoku/crosswords
- gardening

Oh, and I have ordered a Wii Fit as a reward and a fun way to start being healthy 🙂 But I get antsy really easily when I'm craving and I need more suggestions! Help please...
0 Kudos
15 Replies
cindy25

i do alot of gardening anyway, but what has really helped is that i routinely go out after dinner and bug spray, fertilize, pick off dead blooms.....you know "putz" around more than "work". This keeps my hands very busy and its nice to breathe the fresh air.
0 Kudos
cindy25

I'll ask her.
0 Kudos
sarah31

Ok, I am SO excited to get my Wii Fit. It won't be shipped until Monday or Tuesday, but I hope I get it soon so I don't go crazy!
Great idea about the food preparation. I'll just find a meal that takes 2 hours to prepare, haha! I always meant to learn how to cook, exercise, etc... so now's my time to actually do this stuff!
0 Kudos
sarah31

Thanks for asking her, Cindy. I will probably try out every suggestion that people give me! I work from home a lot of the time, and I will need things to take the place of my usual breaks.

To add to the list...websites to look at that will occupy our minds!
- bored.com
- whyquit.com
- search for ridiculous things on ebay or craigslist
- enter contests on online-sweepstakes.com
- read books on dailylit.com
0 Kudos
jen-x

I'm really not much of a singer, but I have found it helps me regulate my breathing. I think a harmonica, kudzu, I suppose wind instruments in general. So does the straw.
I can't seem to focus enough to read. Hmmm.
0 Kudos
cindy25

Oh, I have been trying to make the "perfect, healthy, smoothie" in the morning. Keeps me busy for quite some time. Chopping, peeling, adjusting, etc. Its a good "morning diversion" !
0 Kudos
jen-x

Ohh, sounds good. Any starter recipes? Ingredients to keep on hand?
0 Kudos
sarah31

Ohhh, that is a great suggestion. I have my strongest cravings in the morning, so this will be good. We look forward to your recipes!!
0 Kudos
cindy25

Well......don't get too excited. the fruit ones are really easy (can't go wrong with fruit) but I was trying to incorporate some veggies in there too (to help repair my lungs from smoking). "They" recommend now 10 servings of veggies and fruit a day to prevent cancer. 10 is not easy, if I eat more than a few pieces of fruit- I fly into a sugar tornado. But veggie smoothies are not for the faint of heart. They turn out quite green. I am still working on it. There must be a way to have them not taste like grass........ Anyway, it's a good morning project to not think about smoking!!!!
0 Kudos