cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

rawbella

Day 2

It's been 38 hours since my last cigarette. This is the farthest I've gotten without cheating in years. I'm using the patch, and it's definitely helping with the withdrawal symptoms as I work on changing my habits. I quit off and on throughout the last year, but as a single parent in grad school, I gave myself nothing but excuses for why it just wasn't "the right time." Funnily enough, my eating and exercise habits have been super healthy for years. This is the one crutch I've held onto, despite losing many people to cancer. It's time to cut the crap.

Last night was a challenge. I basically worked out, gave myself a facial (you can buy facial masks in single packs for about a dollar at the grocery store), ate a ginormous fruit salad, did yoga, and watched a favorite tv show--all to avoid smoking. I also took an hour-long nap after work, which I never do, because I felt so sluggish and foggy. Today was a challenge--first thing this morning, I faced a challenge that required major problem-solving skills and was extremely stressed out..and I cried. It wasn't even that big a deal, I think it was just that severely addicted part of my brain that was crying out for a crutch to lean on because I was convinced at one time that smoking actually helped relieve stress. I talked myself down, took a walk outside, chose to face the situation with a can-do attitude----and solved the problem in 2 minutes. I've also broken my lunch up into shorter increments so that I can get onto this site periodically and just read, then go out and take a walk. 

The primary thought that has kept me going right now is: I've done it. I've actually made it this far. And I just can't throw that away. So, here goes....

0 Kudos
5 Replies
piaseckim

Mornings are the toughest for me.  I didn't sleep that well last night.  I am trying to stay away from stressful situations so I don't go psycho on my kids.  It's amazing how fast you can problem solve to make the craving go away.  I keep repeating to myself, " I'm a non-smoker" when I see someone smoking.

0 Kudos
rawbella

It's going to be interesting to see how I get through the weekend without giving myself little "breaks" from errands and chores, etc. I guess I'll have to remember that cancer is a heck of a lot more difficult than powering through a cigarette craving.

0 Kudos
rawbella

Last night I was exceptionally stressed. I countered that with yoga, a favorite tv show to get my mind off of the craving, and a glass of wine. I found myself sitting behind my house without thinking about it, gazing at the amazing show the fireflies were putting on. I remembered the last time--maybe in high school--that I was able to just enjoy a simple summer night by itself, without cigarettes, and to feel total peace. I realized after about 20 minutes that I hadn't so much as wished for a cigarette. Today is a little tougher for some reason; my head feels funny and I can feel stress going to my shoulders. But I don't really have the urge to smoke...I just need to relax some other way, and I have to find something that works.

0 Kudos
joyeuxencore

We all hang out in blogs.

Click the link and come join us!

http://community.becomeanex.org/mod/blog/everyone.php

0 Kudos
joyeuxencore

So sorry! You have quit already! Please take this and post it in a blog so the community can support you! No one sees the forums...xo

0 Kudos