cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Taytortot27

So every morning I'd wake up light up my cigarette and pick my cup up and start sipping on the divine drink from the gods lol I was a chain smoker so the one cigarette was really 4. So now here I am 5 days in no smoking and no nicotine but what the f*** do I do while drinking my coffee....I will not give that up so any suggestions on things I could do? I am powerless over the cravings but I am not powerless over what I can do to help them go away. 

Much love everyone ❤️

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

I love my morning coffee . While I always had a smoke with my coffee changing was not difficult for me . I decided right from the beginning I wasn't giving up coffee . Instead of smoking I did something different . 

I was never a breakfast eater so I decided when I quit to start doing that . So I'd set up a beautiful place setting at the table the night before ... With a book and the newspaper . I'd have my morning breakfast and read a chapter .. or the newspaper . I was sure to have music on because it was so hard to undo the thinking part of smoking rattling around in my brain and having music on helped . 

Set your most beautiful place setting out . Even put flowers on the table or in winter put  a scented candle and enjoy a good read and breakfast will taste amazing ! 

Change  to a healthy routine .

I would suggest altho I did not do this and wouldn't is walk . I like to do my walks around noon .. and into the hot part of the day and early evening . 

Good job 👍 

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Barbscloud

@Taytortot27 Some people do give up coffee, at least temporarily.   Many of us didn't. This is what we mean when we talk about learning new associations instead of smoking.  I smoked outside sitting on the porch drinking my coffee.   When I quit smoking I brought my coffee to the Ex with me in the morning and still do.  So, drink it in a different location, use a different hand, etc. 

Barb

Taytortot27

@Barbscloud see I would try to give the coffee up but since I got clean from drugs and alcohol 3/13/21 coffee has become something I have to have in the morning or I will cry (yes I really will). But I will definitely try what you said....I was even thinking maybe even just switching it back and forth between both hands. 

Taytortot27

@Barbscloud and I do understand the new association thing but for some reason my brain isn't letting me do that just yet....idk if it's my addiction manifesting itself in any form because I'm taking the last thing it had away to feed on which is nicotine...and since Im so dependant on coffee maybe I should do that next lol

Kimshine

@Taytortot27 I haven't had coffee since Monday. I am testing the water to see if giving it up will help with my anxiety. It's worth a try. I've been drinking coffee about 35 years. So far, it's been easier than quitting smoking.

Tomorrow it is 3 weeks without smoking. Hard, cut coffee intake in half and I switched to ginger tea a powerful antioxidant which I strongly recommend!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I love my morning coffee . While I always had a smoke with my coffee changing was not difficult for me . I decided right from the beginning I wasn't giving up coffee . Instead of smoking I did something different . 

I was never a breakfast eater so I decided when I quit to start doing that . So I'd set up a beautiful place setting at the table the night before ... With a book and the newspaper . I'd have my morning breakfast and read a chapter .. or the newspaper . I was sure to have music on because it was so hard to undo the thinking part of smoking rattling around in my brain and having music on helped . 

Set your most beautiful place setting out . Even put flowers on the table or in winter put  a scented candle and enjoy a good read and breakfast will taste amazing ! 

Change  to a healthy routine .

I would suggest altho I did not do this and wouldn't is walk . I like to do my walks around noon .. and into the hot part of the day and early evening . 

Good job 👍 

vjett1230

I just started adding sweet creamers to my black coffee. It helped me not crave the smoking with. 

Barbscloud

@vjett1230 Many of us didn't give up our coffee, but changed up the routine. For me it was moving to different location.  I now have my coffee on the Ex in the morning.

Keep up the good work.

Barb

Kharbison82

Me too

0 Kudos