cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

TamiTee

Chantix

I asked my doctor to prescribe Chantix and she did. I read this in the info from the pharmacy….

New or worse heart and blood vessel problems have happened with this drug. This includes heart attack and stroke. Most of the time, this happened in people who already had heart or blood vessel problems.

I had a stroke in October caused by subarachnoid hemorrhage and still have 2 aneurysms that weren’t coiled. 
Should I take this medication or not. I’m leaning toward “Not”

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Barbscloud

@TamiTee Welcome to the Ex and congrats on your quit.  I'm afraid you have to make this decision with your doctor.   I have learned to make some medical decisions for myself over the years. But it's also important to remember they have to report EVERY side effect that was reported in trials that may or may not be significant.  

There are many alternatives.  I used Welbutrin and nicotrol inhalers, but there are additional NRT options such as the patch, lozenges, gum, etc. 

I think you should make the best decision for you.  No matter how you quit, the health benefits will out way any  of the negatives of continuing to smoke. You have to feel confident in your decision.

Wishing you the best on your journey.

Barb

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @TamiTee! My name is Quiana, and I am a part of the EX Team.  I wanted to reach out and personally welcome you to the EX Community! Have you discussed your concerns with you doctor about Chantix once your read the literature for the pharmacist? Maybe there is something else she can suggest with less side effects?

Quiana, EX Team

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos
TamiTee

Hi Quiana,

I sent my doctor a message but haven’t heard back yet. Thanks for your concern. 
Tami

Barbscloud

@TamiTee Best wishes

Barb

0 Kudos