cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

lola2

BEWARE OF CHANTIX

After smoking heavily for the better part of 25 years, I made a commitment to quit.
Although I am glad to be 2 years smoke free, I destroyed my life in the process of quitting, and I am here in hopes of stopping other people from quitting the way I did. I unknowingly poisoned my body to help myself quit. I trusted the Pfizer drug Chantix because it was FDA approved, later to learn that Chantix would cause neurological problems. I only took a 2-month supply of Chantix, spread over 3 months, ending in March of 2007, but the adverse reactions are extremely bad to this day!
It starts with all over joint, muscle and bone pain, then it led me to further damage, such as neuropathy, and a partially paralyzed right foot, and severe myopathy. The damage mimics M.S., but no M.S. was found on a brain scan.
Not just me, but there are hundreds of others online complaining about the same reactions from Chantix, but the FDA doesn't care. Obviously they are on Pfizer's payroll too.
0 Kudos
91 Replies
dan15

I haven't heard of the kinds of reactions you described, but it is definitely a good idea to be cautious whenever starting a new medication. All medications have a zillion possible side effects. Most people don't experience the side effects, but some do. I tried Chanitx. I didn't have any side effects like you, but it did seem to make my antidepressant quit working and I got so depressed I was pretty much non-functional.

Now I'm taking Wellbutrin. It seemed like a better idea since it is an antidepressant as well. Although I'm pretty much convinced that the reason it helps is that it makes me so lethargic and spaced out that I just don't have the energy to get off my butt to go buy a pack of cigarettes.

Congratulations on 2 smoke free years, and thanks for sharing your Chanitx experience. Pretty scary stuff!
0 Kudos
lola2

Hi Dan,
Yeah, just google "chantix joint pain" and you will see blogs from hundreds of Chantix users trying to find help. I tried Welbutrin after quitting to deal with the weight gain, and it did take away my appetite-----or like you said make me too spacey to cook. Welbutrin is a better way to quit than Chantix. I recently spoke to a retired FDA doctor who told me not to trust anything Pfizer makes. I believe it now. Good thing Welbutrin is from a different maker.

Quitting to me feels like being in the ocean. At first the waves are strong enough to knock you down, but you fight to stay up. Then you learn how to build strength against them, and each week that progresses, the waves feel less in power. In a matter of 8 months, the waves feel so weak you can laugh at them; like a baby trying to push you over. After a year, the baby waves are still there occassionally, but after about 14 months, I felt like I never was a smoker. Even my weakest cravings were no longer. The same cigarettes that used to be my comfort zone, are now like stinky sewage to me. When you reach that point, you are there!
0 Kudos
christine2007

Interesting, I quit by using Chantix and researched it before I took it.

Its been marketed for years in Europe (as Champix) and they (EU) actually have an oversight organization that makes our FDA look as weak as it really is. I don't trust the USA FDA at all.

However, with that said... I used Chantix and LOVED it. It worked a miracle for me and for everyone I know personally whose used it. So far, no one has complained of the symptoms you've unfortunately had. Our doctor is also a "sold" fan of it since nothing else has worked like this for his patients.

Sorry you had an issue. But, it was a GODSEND for me.
0 Kudos
lola2

It doesn't adversely affect everyone, their is an unknown variable of why only some people. It could be only those carrying certain genes? We don't know yet, but me and some others affected by it are trying to piece it together.
A chemical that goes straight to your brain and performs a procedure, should have been further studied before releasing it, but further testing was waived because of the success rate. Let's hope it doesn't have an after affect on users down the road.
0 Kudos
lola2

Thank you Julie!

I'm glad that I am not the only one realizing that there are huge pay-offs at the expense of our health. People should also know about aspartame poisoning! Dr. Betty Martini will explain to you how it is very deadly, she was an FDA doctor for 17 years. Check out all of this on aspartame:

http://aolsearch.aol.com/aol/search?invocationType=client91_searchb...

People have M.S., brain tumors. and ALS now because the FDA condoned diet soda, and other products with aspartame. You want proof? A hair sent to a lab will determine aspartame poisoning according to these doctors.
It even gets worse..... David Patterson, NY Gov., wants to encourage people to buy diet soda over regular soda, and is planning a new state tax on *only* regular soda.....naming this tax "obesity tax"!!!
Is there more to poisoning people than the kick-backs?
Also check out what flouride does to your brain. I recently switched to natural toothpaste w/o flouride!
0 Kudos
lola2

If an ex FDA doctor of 17 years is wanting to expose them now, you would think that would be huge news!
But she has been limited to web site exposes' only. Why? Does Pfizer and Monsanto threaten to stop network advertising if they put her on TV?
We only see what they allow us to see. But if you email Dr. Martini, she will take the time to respond to you. She sent me long emails explaining how Chantix & aspartame caused my problems.
0 Kudos
christine2007

I agree with all of you about the FDA. I'm a heart attack survivor (mild one) and in 2007 had pneumonia 3x!!! (Part of my reasoning to quit smoking.) I discovered that Prilosec (that I took for 5 years daily) is now suspected of causing pneumonia and cardiac complications!!! Cripes. Thank you FDA.

I also learned that the Aleve that I LOVED was responsible for the kidney complications and resulting high blood pressure I had. (I have arthritis and it worked great!). The Pharmacist and my doctor said that these types of drugs should never have been put in the 'over the counter' class because of the severe organ damage they can cause. Nice. Thank you FDA.

This is part of the reason that I had more faith in taking Chantix because it had already been approved in the European Union which will NOT allow hundreds of regularly prescribed meds and food additives that the US's FDA waves a free (and dirty) hand to.
0 Kudos
lola2

Christine, Have you tried Sam-e for arthritis? It is all natural in a vitamin store. I have severe arthritis too, and I started Sam-e yesterday, and definitely feel a little better today! Less inflammation. It also increases seratonin levels and elevates your mood.
I also started Resveratol after reading so much about it. Doctors say resveratol can add years to your life, as it reverses aging.
0 Kudos
christine2007

I'll check them both out. Thanks. =D
0 Kudos