cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

debbee

1 and a half months and I still want one.

I am over a month and a half smoke free now..and I still want one. I think about it off and on through out the day. I hate the stinking thinking that tries to talk you into smoking. When that happens I try to tell my self all the good reasons to stay quit. I try very hard to focus on the good things about not smoking instead of feeling sorry for my self because I can't smoke. My friend and I quit a little over a year ago both of us for over 8 months each. She played the victum everyday until her husband could not take it anymore and told her he wished she would just shut up and start smoking again,So she did. I really do not have an answer why I started again other to say, I do remember I did not really try to talk myself into it or talk myself out of it. Just went to the store and bought a pack. I am sitting here right now thinking about why I really want to be a non smoker. I just realized I want to be a non smoker I think for the same reason I smoked. When I was young everyone smoked. Peer pressure for me. I guess that is the same reason now that I want to be a non smoker, no one smokes anymore.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Diana20

I have 20 days today. I had quit too for about a year before this quit. I wanted a cig all day today. My stinkin thinkin was trying very hard to get me to go out and smoke a cancer stick. I HAVE to remember they are not my friends.. My mother in law is dying of lung cancer right now and many b4 her have too. Then I think well I am gaining soooo much weight. If I start smoking tho i will be fat and want a cig. When I feel down and unable to fight my addiction, I have to remember to believe it is just that. an adiction, a very mean addiction. so mean it will tell you you dont have one. That it wont kill you that youwill feell better... Ijust have to remember to remember. And dopnt pick up . The feeling will pass & I will feel better about it later. We have to wnat not to smoke more than we want to.... bottom line. But this isite helps us remember and know we arnt the only ones. We are not alone. NOPE.
Take care. & dont smoke. It stinks,
0 Kudos
debbee

You are right we have to want to not smoke more then we want to smoke.
0 Kudos
becky16

Like KarenS said, what is the upside of smoking? I think you have to concentrate on... What does smoking do for you? Does it make you healthy? Does it make you smell good? Does it make life better for you? Does it put money in the bank for you? Does it make your home appealing to you? What does smoking really do for you? The Payoff of smoking is a possible death, a possible disability or a disease. The payoff of smoking is being controlled by your addiction. It controls your thinking, your decision making, who you hang with, and your time. The payoff of smoking is puffing away out in the cold and rain. The payoff of smoking is regret. Go to Michael Patterson's page and read his story. The payoffs............are all negative. There is nothing positive about smoking. So, you decide........YOU HAVE THE POWER TO CHOOSE........USE WISELY YOUR POWER OF CHOICE.
0 Kudos
edith2

🙂
0 Kudos
edith2

🙂
0 Kudos
rj_

Debbee, congrats on the quit. 1 1/2 mos is great,
Key here, start adjusting your thinking, you must change your thoughts.
The difference here is a physical need (crave) v.s a psycological need (want)
during the first three days to 7 days of a quit, nicotine is falling out of your blood and tissues causing a withdrawl, thus crave, the withdrawl and crave is what is satisfied when you smoke nicotine, it satisfied but immediately begins again until withdrawl and crave smoke, forever.
A Want is a psycoglogiocal there is no physical effects, those are long gone because if your blood has been nicotine free for 1 1/2 months then it is strictly mental, it is a matter of mind and attitude.

I cannot begin to give all the tips on learning patience with your quit, and mental adjustments, I really recommend you do some reading at whyquit.com for the followup education on being able to keep the quit going.

Long and short of it education and attitude will keep you nicotine free.

Best to Ya,
RJ..Free at Last, 381 days after 32 yrs
0 Kudos