cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

mariafisher60

Seems Impossible

I have tried multiple different times to quit vaping. Every time I get a day or two, I've even gone five days, into not taking a puff off a vape, I find myself right back at the store buying a new one. I REALLY want to quit, but I need to find ways to subside the cravings. How do I keep my mind off wanting to take a puff off a vape? 

11 Replies
champsin97

There alot tools available here.  Some of the regulars should be responding with invaluble information that will help you.  Stay strong and stay close.

biscuit9

@mariafisher60  What made a difference for me, was reading and learning about nicotine addiction. Take a little time to get educated on what you are dealing with.  Lots of information on this site and whyquit.org.  Read and learn and choose your tools that will help you quit.  I leaned on tools for a few weeks....gum, hard candies, straws to blow through, a sweet smelling candle, walk the block, craft project, journaling, etc., etc.  Plan out what you will do when the craves come.  This can make a difference in your success.  I wanted to quit many times, but waking up and deciding on a whim to quit smoking, never worked for me.  I recommend being proactive.

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @mariafisher60, thanks for sharing, there are some resources on the site that specifically address quitting vaping: https://www.becomeanex.org/ex-resources/about-quitting/get-ready-to-quit/quitting-e-cigarettes/ Hope this helps and remember, you have a community here that's ready to help you on your quit journey. You got this!

- Danielle

EX Team

EX Community Admin Team
Barbscloud

@mariafisher60 Welcome to the Ex and congrats on your decision to quit.  You've come to the right place for information and support.

It's important to understand that nicotine is an addiction.  When armed with that knowledge, quitting becomes more possible.  There are psychological habits attached also, so we have to work on both.  Early on it's the physical addiction we have to work through. The psychological part takes longer.  We've attached every emotion and activity with smoking so it takes some work to find new associations to replace the old.   

So educate yourself about nicotine and create a quit plan. Along with the support of fellow quitters these two steps has meant success for many smokers. 

This link is a great lace to start. Learn how to identify your triggers, the tools you'll use, creating new associations instead of smoking, etc. 

https://www.becomeanex.org/guides/?cid=footer_community_linktobex

Make the commitment and you can do this too.  We're here to support you on your journey.  So reach out anytime you need help, want to share your experience or to support fellow quitters. We're all in this together.

Start your day by taking the Daily Pledge.  It's a great way to stay on track on day at a time.

Stay busy and stay close.

Barb

0 Kudos
exit7rocks

I’m six weeks into quitting smoking, I don’t ow how different it is, but I know I couldn’t have got this far into it without nicotine gum.  Then I keep reminding myself how hard it was and how much easier and better it is now. I don’t want to go back and try to quit again. It’s hard. I don’t plan on stopping the gum until 12 weeks. That’s what the instructions on the box says to do.

keeping busy help too. 

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

@exit7rocks Congrats 6 weeks.  That's a fabulous achievement.   Stick with the gum and follow the instructions.

You might find this helpful.

No Mans Land Days 30 to 130 (approximate) - EX Community

Join many of us on the  taking the Daily Pledge. It's a great way to stay on track on day at a time.t

Stay busy and stay close.

Barb

exit7rocks

85 days today. 12 weeks. I rarely think of smokes. But now I’m nervous about getting off the gum. Im hopping it will be easier to get past than breaking the physical habit.

0 Kudos
biscuit9

I've never used the gum, but if you can can avoid nicotine for 85 DAYS, I just know you can do it without the gum.  Sometimes we make things bigger than they really are, and I hope that is your experience in quitting the nic gum.  Congratulations on 85 days of no self harm!  Truly outstanding.  Be kind to yourself and be proud of what you have accomplished. 

0 Kudos
exit7rocks

The reminders from this group have also helped. It kept quitting front of mind.