cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

NatalieDi

Quitting Methods

Jump to solution

I knew I was going to set a quit date sometime between December and February. I talked to my doctor and he wrote me a prescription for patches ( 6 weeks of 21 mg., 8 weeks of 14 mg. And  2 weeks of 7 mg) and a script for welbutrin. I picked them all up in December.

I started stockpiling regular gum and I still have a vape I bought a year ago.

I picked my date of Jan 15th. I couldn't do it. I bought two packs of cigarettes and smoked them on the patch... I was trying to cut back. I was failing again. I bought one more pack on the 18th and snoked them all...and fought the urge to buy more.

I received a hypnosis session on the 19th. That day was hard.

I made it one day. Then I fought with myself, got very messy, **bleep**, sleepless, angry and rage filled ... Alone.

I was unfit to speak to anyone. I was scared to go anywhere because I didn't trust myself not to buy cigarettes.

The hardest day was day three or four... All the days are blending together. I had to get food for my child. The grocery store is right next to the gas station  I buy my cigarettes at. I reached out to a friend. I cried... And I womaned up and got the groceries. When I was 10 miles away from the stores I felt relieved. Elated, actually. I did it.

Today is day 9... I called the quit line for the 3rd time. This time they were actually there. I complained about their hours and not being there when I needed them most. 8-4:30 is not helpful.

The woman offered me nicotine gum and this resource.

I have nearly every tool available.

I'm still having to handle this minute by minute. I started the welbutrin last night. It helped.

I've eaten at least 10 bunches of celery, 2 bags of carrots and everything else in my home. I'm certain I've gained weight. I'm choosing not to look or deal with it right now.

I will have to people soon. I hope I have the strength not to be a b#tch or smoke .

Minute by minute.

This is the hardest thing I've ever done.

I wish all of you and myself success on this difficult journey.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
biscuit9

Congrats on doing the work and quit day 9.  What you are describing is pretty much how I felt around the same time.  All over the place, but I wasn't smoking.  Just want to encourage you to keep going.  You are UNtraining your smoking brain.  You are standing up to the monster and telling it "NO".  Monster is not used to that and doesn't like it.  Hopefully you have read up on nicotine addiction and how nicotine addicts us.  Good that you are reaching out, but apparently the hypnosis did not help, either.  Distract, delay, educate yourself.  You will get to a good place.  Quit day 133 for me and it took ME 3 weeks to really appreciate what I had done.  NINE DAYS of success, for you, so you have been saying NO, over and over.  

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Barbscloud

@NatalieDi Welcome to the Ex and congrats on 8 days of success.  Did your doctor give you instructions about the Welbutrin.  I used it also and it really helped, but normally you take it 1 -2 weeks before you quit.

Your working through the hard part, so be proud of yourself.   Glad you found us and reached out.  I know how much finding this site contributed to my quit after 50 years and multiple attempts.  

If you haven't done do yet some reading here; it really helps to understand nicotine addiction and being prepared for cravings, triggers, and creating new associations instead of smoking.  This link has some good information.

https://www.becomeanex.org/guides/?cid=footer_community_linktobex

Stay busy and stay close.

Barbscloud_0-1674912175755.png

Barb

NatalieDi

I started the welbutrin prior to my quit date. I had a bad reaction to it that felt similar to withdrawal from zoloft and xanax. That was hard to get off of too.

I had face songs, that's the best way to describe it.

By day 2 or 3 of the serotonin and dopamine bottoming out from not smoking ... Face zings seemed worth it.

I will read the link you sent.

But to answer your question, yes. 

biscuit9

Congrats on doing the work and quit day 9.  What you are describing is pretty much how I felt around the same time.  All over the place, but I wasn't smoking.  Just want to encourage you to keep going.  You are UNtraining your smoking brain.  You are standing up to the monster and telling it "NO".  Monster is not used to that and doesn't like it.  Hopefully you have read up on nicotine addiction and how nicotine addicts us.  Good that you are reaching out, but apparently the hypnosis did not help, either.  Distract, delay, educate yourself.  You will get to a good place.  Quit day 133 for me and it took ME 3 weeks to really appreciate what I had done.  NINE DAYS of success, for you, so you have been saying NO, over and over.