cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

Im scared

Jump to solution

Day one and I'm scared. I don't have anything to help stop. Anxiety and stress isn't my friend. I have to do this for my heart. I will win.

Labels (1)
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Maki

Have you decided upon using NRT nicotine replacement therapy to help or decided cold Turkey ?  Would you like some information on them to help you decide ? Someone will be along shortly with some links for you . 
Welcome to Ex . Whether you choose to use NRT or go cold turkey you have support here to help you through .

View solution in original post

biscuit9

First off, take a breath, and try to relax, literally just breathe.  Try to stay in a good head space, and remind yourself you are gaining your LIFE and your HEALTH back.  You are not losing anything, that is just the lie that nicotine has been tellng you and me for years. You don't NEED it, you never did.  You are doing the right thing for you.  I used prayer and my faith in God to keep me grounded.  When you crave, you have to use your tools....licorice stick, blow through a straw, write and journal your thoughts and feelings. I chose to watch alot of awful smoking videos, which is pretty discouraging but that's what I needed.  No matter how you feel, you are doing the best thing you can ever do for your health.  

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Maki

Have you decided upon using NRT nicotine replacement therapy to help or decided cold Turkey ?  Would you like some information on them to help you decide ? Someone will be along shortly with some links for you . 
Welcome to Ex . Whether you choose to use NRT or go cold turkey you have support here to help you through .

I see my heart doctor Tuesday. I have to have something to turn back on for awhile. I smoke way to much, thinking vaping was better. The world is full of evil tricks. 

biscuit9

First off, take a breath, and try to relax, literally just breathe.  Try to stay in a good head space, and remind yourself you are gaining your LIFE and your HEALTH back.  You are not losing anything, that is just the lie that nicotine has been tellng you and me for years. You don't NEED it, you never did.  You are doing the right thing for you.  I used prayer and my faith in God to keep me grounded.  When you crave, you have to use your tools....licorice stick, blow through a straw, write and journal your thoughts and feelings. I chose to watch alot of awful smoking videos, which is pretty discouraging but that's what I needed.  No matter how you feel, you are doing the best thing you can ever do for your health.  

Thank you for the support. It has took over my life and I need to be stronger. I went to church Sunday and told God to please help me. A day at a time.

biscuit9

What are you using for distractions?   Yes, nicotine addiction just keeps wanting more and more and more of you, and nicotine will never be satisfied.  That is why you are doing the right thing for you.  Read from the book of Psalms. Stay strong and get through day one.  

Barbscloud

@Suterrebecca14_ Welcome to the Ex and congrats on your first day won.

Anxiety about quitting is normal. Many describe it as losing their best friend, We've smoked our way through every event and emotion, so it's only normal that were apprehensive. Approaching your quit one day at a time can help to alleviate the fear. Don't think about forever right now. You'll see those one days will turn into multiple days.

Right now, you're working through the process of your desire to quit and the addiction wanting you to keep it up. You can win that internal battle by educating yourself about nicotine addiction and putting a plan in place with how you'll deal with cravings, identifying your triggers and creating the new associations you'll create instead of smoking.

And you just found an amazing group of quitters the are here to support you on this journey to becoming an Ex. There will be ups and downs, but that is part of the journey. We're here for you, so just reach out anytime we can help or want to share your experience.

This link is a great place to get you started on the right track. https://www.becomeanex.org/guides/?cid=footer_community_linktobex

Join many of us on the Daily Pledge to stay on track one day at a time.  You might also find this helpful.  The Ex started running a monthly Zoom meetings and called it the EX Café. It features one of the coaches or a doctor from Mayo Clinic and is an open meeting where any member of the community can ask questions related to their quit, or even just come to socialize and hang out.

Join Us at the EX Café: A Safe Haven in Your Quit ... - EX Community

We're here for you, so reach out anytime we can help.

Deep breathing exercises really help with the stress

Barbscloud_1-1682944868318.gif

Stay busy and stay close.

Barb

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

@Suterrebecca14_ How are you doing with your quit?  

Barb

0 Kudos
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Suterrebecca14_ , proud of you for being here and tackling those feelings of anxiety and stress head-on!

On EX, we have lots of stress management resources you may find helpful. You can find them here: https://www.becomeanex.org/ex-resources/about-quitting/managing-stress/ 

Keep us posted how it's going~

- Megan, EX Team

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos