cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

Anite

BRAIN FOG AFTER QUITING

Since I quit smoking I feel like my brain has stopped working.  It feels foggy the whole time.  I googled and it might take months to clear. Does anyone else have these symptoms and/or advise?  I am working full time and I need my brain.

I also have the weirdest, busy dreams at night but I cant remember a thing. But I wake up tired.

Any help will be welcome.

Labels (1)
29 Replies
josnyder72

Yes!! I had the brain fog for about 3 weeks.....In addition to trying to get some extra sleep (going to bed early), I also started taking a multi-vitamin, Vitamin B Complex and Ginko Biloba. I am not sure if it helped or the fog just naturally went away after that bit of time, but it WILL pass.... Keep stomping forward!!

Jo

79 DOF

elvan

I love it, keep STOMPING forward!

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Wow there are lots of views on this topic.  I'm wondering of the people who are here and are still subscribed to this topic.  What do you know now that you didn't know when you last commented? How did you deal with that feeling of brain fog after quitting? What advice would you give to new people starting their quit journey and are faced with brain fog and are trying to figure out what to do.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Anitecrazymama_LoribonniebeeJennifer-QuitJACKIE1-25-15elvanTW517maryfreecigMandolinrainKMC56Thomas3.20.2010

Lots of people come from the search engines and land in this post. I'm wondering if you could comment now on how things have been since you last posted in this thread? 

If you're coming to us and this is the first post you're reading. Please join and post your story!

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
TW517

Doesn’t surprise me that people worry about this and search the topic.  Honestly, this was the one thing that nearly cost me my quit. I had many of those typical symptoms people get in their early quit like mood swings, depression, chest tightening, bowel problems, acne, etc. As bad as some of those were, they didn’t affect my livelihood.  But the brain fog really interfered with my job.  I kept telling myself that if this didn’t clear up in a day or two, I’d just have to start smoking again, or lose my job.  As I mentioned in my earlier reply, I was able to get my work done by taking extra breaks and working overtime (unpaid).  And fortunately for me, it started to subside after 5-6 weeks.  I know for others it can last longer.

Of course, looking back, all of the discomforts and anxiety were worth it.  My physical and mental health are so much better now (as well as my wallet).  But I know at the time you are experiencing it, it is pretty scary. 

what helped me during that time is making lots and lots of notes.  I work for court reporters and have to do a lot research and remember boatloads of information.  that was probably the most frustrating for me during that time because I was forgetting so many things.  Your brain needs to regenerate and heal itself from the chemical imbalance it was suffering for so long.  My head finally cleared after 6 months.  You'll still have some periods of brain fog, but those notes sure come in handy !!!!

maryfreecig

What do I know now, Mark? That I didn't know then? Well, looking back to my early quit, I missed being hyped up though I didn't realize that nicotine acted that way. I thought I was emotional from quitting. I have had to relearn energy. Instead of doing cartwheels through the day, I've learned that one foot in front of the other, first thing first, second, second and so on is normal and healthy. The fog was a lack of focus and missing excitement in the the kind of focus I use to have on nicotine.

JACKIE1-25-15

As I look back, I believe that knowing that there may be brain fog and preparing for it makes it easier to deal with. It was like walking in slow motion.  I just equate it to being lethargic or dizziness. Knowing is the best part.  It does not did happen often and did not last that long for me. Better than taking a puff and passing out. lol

Navanod1

Well, I messed up with this one... 😅 I didn't know that brain fog was coming... I was on the patch for about a week. The day I ran out of patches, my wife and I went to a wine tasting. I've never been a wine drinker, but it sounded fun! We got 4 tastings each which turned out to be a FULL GLASS! Now, 4 glasses of wine in 2 hours isn't terrible. Pretty drunk, but not bad. The problem was that my wife kept getting things she didn't like lol! We couldn't pour it out, so it was up to me to empty both glasses... Now, this is red wine, which I know NOTHING about, and I'm so drunk I can barely walk. I told my wife that I was SOOO glad it was over! I just couldn't bring myself to not get what I paid for! Well, I come home and crash. The next day, I'm hung over. BAD. No patches. No vape. Withdraws are hitting me hard. But, I just go to bed because my head is pounding. I spent the next 3 days sleeping it off. Over time, the physical pain is going away, and I notice this nagging brain fog. Cant focus. Cant think. Haven't used nicotine for 3 days. I start thinking that the wine gave me brain damage! I've been freaking out that my IQ has dropped by 30 points because I just had to go to a wine tasting! Turns out, red wine will give you a serious hangover which will cause brain fog, and nicotine withdraw will cause brain fog too! So, I got hit with a double whammy that I didn't expect! Brain fog is still here.. Nagging on.. It seems to get slightly, very slightly, better every day. So, its either the nicotine, or the wine broke my brain. I wouldn't know which 😵

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

@Navanod1 Welcome to the Ex.  and congrats on your decision to quit.  Did you smoke or not at the wine tasting?   

Most quitters recommend not drinking when first quitting smoking.  It has ruined many a quit.  I can certainly remember a red wine hangover from my college days.  

Barb

0 Kudos