cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

rhirath

Quitting!

I’m quitting vaping tomorrow. I’m telling you all, my new community of quitters, to help keep me accountable. I was doing well on my quitting journey until my best friend and biggest advocate was hit by a car two months ago. He’s been in the hospital since and I’ve been off the wagon. I need new ways to cope with difficult times and emotions that support my emotional well-being and are sustainable. I’m looking forward to the scary journey ahead now that I have found this site. I am walking to my nearest Target now to buy patches so I can set myself up for success. Thank you in advance for words of encouragement and advice. 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Barbscloud

@rhirath Welcome to the Ex and congrats on your decision to quit.  Sorry to hear about your friend.  It does take work and preparation to deal with up and downs that life can throw at us.  After all, we've relied on nicotine for every activity and emotion, good and bad, 

Anxiety about quitting is normal. Many describe it as losing their best friend, We've smoked our way through every event and emotion, so it's only normal that were apprehensive. Approaching your quit one day at a time can help to alleviate the fear. Don't think about forever right now. You'll see those one days will turn into multiple days.

Right now, you're working through the process of your desire to quit and the addiction wanting you to keep it up. You can win that internal battle by educating yourself about nicotine addiction and putting a plan in place with how you'll deal with cravings, identifying your triggers and creating the new associations you'll create instead of smoking.

And you just found an amazing group of quitters the are here to support you on this journey to becoming an Ex. There will be ups and downs, but that is part of the journey. We're here for you, so just reach out anytime we can help or want to share your experience.

This link is a great place to get you started on the right track. https://www.becomeanex.org/guides/?cid=footer_community_linktobex

Consider taking the Daily Pledge to stay on track one day at a time.

Cheering you on for your first day nicotine free.   We're here for you, so reach out anytime we can help.

Stay busy and stay close.

Barb

0 Kudos
biscuit9

Yes, have all the tools you need:  patch, gum, straws, hard candy, etc.  The one thing I have tried to remind myself is, smoking will not change the situation.  You chose to smoke because your best friend was seriously hurt, but smoking did not change your friend's situation.  God willing your friend will recover, but you will still have a smoking addiction.  So, I try to look at it from a practical view.  That's the tough part of this addiction, replacing those cravings with a healthy option.  Glad you are here.

0 Kudos