cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

what is a blog part 1

frigga
0 14 47

so i dont know what a blog is, but i suppose i have to write one to get community interaction.

um, i quit cold turkey this past Sunday at around 10pm... Actually, i only woke up on Monday and decided it was time to just quit and my last cig was about 10pm sunday.... more like a spontaneous type of thing as i have failed my past attempts over and over again. so besides the withdrawls, i am doing ok.

I get angry really fast, my heart beat speeds up a few times during the day, shortness of breath. But i love the fact i dont have to wash my hands to rid them of the smell, and my teeth have been clean all day.

There is a lack of support for my decision to quit smoking, and for the most part, i havent told anyone. I even deactivated facebook so i can just be me and try to control my emotions this week. Im a wreck.. i want a smoke, i think only because i dont know what else to do when i get stressed out. but, living in denver, today the weather is freezing so i dont want to go outside anyways. I have already been told once to just have a cig, i get too irritated and was told its not even worth my time.. which, made me even angrier, because, for my health, i need to quit.. ive been wanting this for many years and just never had the support before, still i dont except here online, so i say, ill do what i want, and prove to all of you that i can do this, no matter how moody i am in the next week, i CAN DO IT!

14 Comments
JonesCarpeDiem

the nicotine is out of your system in three days but symptoms average 2-3 weeks.

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/jonescarp.aka.dale.Jan_2007-blog/2011/06/26/what-to-expect-...

my page may be helpful to you.

frigga

130 DAYS CHALLENGE, ILL TAKE IT! altho march 12th seems very far away... i know i can do this, again, and stay quit this time

cheyenne7

Wow.....everything you said is completely real and makes total sense....very impressed

You've got this.....you will find great support on this site....and yes, you CAN do this !!

JonesCarpeDiem

Good.

take it in steps.

Get through your first month and everything will seem much better.

frigga

thank you. I may have very real stories, but its not easy at all. i just have to fight thru and stay busy and take my mind off of it.. right now, the hardest part is to keep this plan to myself and on the internet. My failures before were due to the pressures from other people. i was told i should cut down or use replacement... which i have said no because i just want the nicotine gone and out now rather than later.. cutting down never worked for me, i always felt like a failure with just one puff so i would just smoke all day.

sooner or later i will feel better

Courage

Don't sound so hopeless though, you've already started your journey, pat yourself on the back. Great job! Try not to resist the feelings if you can, it's part of the process, you give it more power with the anxiety. Deep breaths, make sure your jaw is unclenced and remember, they're just feelings, they can't hurt you....  

cheyenne7

no, it's not easy....I understand that.  I think you have a great outlook and that's a huge plus when quitting....wishing you the best!

MarilynH

You can and will succeed in your quit, stay strong and stay  100 % committed and as close to this site as you can. Drink lots of water and keep your mind as well as your hands occupied, you are doing great hang tough.

Marilyn

becky554

You can do it and you are an inspiration for me to push forward with my plan to quit smoking.   Thank you so much.   I have faith in you that you will stay away from smoking.

Hang in there.

Becky

victoriamac

Congratulations with your decision to quit and stay quit! I am fast approaching my quit day and I can only pray that I have the resolve to quit on that day like you have quit. Stay positive and strong and always remember the reaon you quit in the first place. I know that you can and will do it. Good luck to you!

YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

I am sorry you didn't find us sooner, but better late than never.

The most important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. Here is a link to a free PDF version of it:

http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

As well, read the sections on this site, and read the blogs, responses and pages of folks you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com and quitsmokingonline.com for the good information contained there.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand. If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.  Don't let that smoking thought rattle around your head alone.  Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

I am glad you are here!  Be sure to ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it!

Nancy

swilson2

I too quit the same way as you i finished a pack and told my husband thats it i am done, my emotions were off the chart we call it a roller coaster and you will have your days good and bad, i had quit before i found this site but they have saved me more than once from lighting up ( thanks again guy,s ) i have been smoke free for more than six months you can do this the ex community is here for you ask away.

I

lois2

welcome you can do this quit,  do the reading and stay close to the site.

liana5

Hi Griggs, welcome, you did great for your first blog. Keep blogging.  There is great suggestions and support here.  We are going through what you are.  Keep close., Liana, California