cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

today today today

mdmd4448
2 14 74

"Today today today, I'm finally on my way"....opening line from James Taylor tune on his latest album. That is how I feel. Went back and read until late last night; everyone's comments, well wishes, quitsmokingonline, and more. Today I have a new sense of separation between myself and my addiction. I see it, I see me. We're no longer the same. There is a smidgen of daylight now between me and it.

Worked out today...been a gym rat my whole life. Breathing so much better in just two weeks. I used to laugh at the irony of working out several days a week and then rewarding myself with one of those coffin nails afterwards. Jerry Lee Lewis sang in Great Balls of Fire "I laughed at love cause I thought it was funny". I did the same with the gym and smoking. I thought it was funny...Well, this kind of funny ain't funny no more. The gym felt great today and even better without the 40 year irony of a cigarette while I cooled down......

mdmd

14 Comments
Ed55

Progress!

MePlus3

great job! working out release "real dopamine" that feel good hormone! I work out at home havent built up the courage to go to the gym yet because im a "toothpick" and I look like a idiot when I work out but it still feel good!! continue to grow in your quit! You control YOU those craves and feelings are all YOU fighting with YOU! so take control you'll feel so much better!

bonniebee

I know what you mean I was not a gym person but i love to walk for excercise and then I would reward myself with a sickerette ! So stupid  smokers are in such denial !

You are doing great keep it going !

KMC56

Sounds familiar. ..I would leave the gym.....light up a mile away so no one would see me!!

mdmd4448

Oh, yea, KMC, I know that one really well. Or drive into gym parking lot with cigarette going then drive around long enough to toss it where no one will see you do it. Shame, shame......denial ain't just a river in Egypt!

mdmd

shashort

Same story here go workout and then go smoke. What were we thinking. Woohoo your tone sounds a little better and more spunk today.  Hope you got a good wift of dopamine from your workout. Sounding better stay strong! You CAN do this and ARE doing it. NOPE!!!! for me

JonesCarpeDiem

Onward and Upward!

Daniela2016

Congratulations, you are on your way to FREEDOM!

Thomas3.20.2010

Keep growing that Quititude! You just may find yourself a Happy Quitter after all!

Giulia

Would do a double run around the reservoir in Central Park (about 3 miles), then get home and light up.  Well, at least I didn't keep the cigs WITH me when I did the running and smoke before I ever got out of the park.  Thought how "tough" I was.  Could run a mile and a half or three miles while still smoking.  "I can do anything!," I thought  even at the same time knowing smoking was stupid and hurting my body.   Now years down the road it's starting to catch up with me.
If you've quit - keep it.  If you're working on it - DO IT!
The more time that passes after you've quit,  the greater the separation from you old smoking self and the easier it all becomes.
Keep with it doc!

tjanddj

You are on your way! Keep at it!

elvan

EXcellent!  I remember working out in my friend's pool and getting out about halfway through the workout to smoke a cigarette...now I see her and another friend doing the same thing.

jonilou

Long walks for the heart and then a cigarette was the reward! Wow, what were we thinking! Congratulations on your quit and sharing with us all the positive effects of it. This is great encouragement for all of us!

constanceclum

I am so glad to see a positive day for you. I know from your blogs that it's been a battle. I'm happy that you didn't give in. 

Connie